Hard drive not opening

Closed
eamaxwell Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 17, 2014 - Nov 17, 2014 at 02:05 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Nov 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I dropped my external 1Tb Harddrive and it now only shows that i have connected a hard drive but i cannot open it or check properties, I however connected it on my HD TV and I can see all my files and even play videos and music on it. I tried connecting it to my pc but its not opening
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Hi Eamaxwell,

Hard drives are very fragile devices and in general could be severely damaged from a drop. Do you hear some strange noises coming from the drive? How does it appear in Windows? Is the file format RAW? It is a good sign if you can actually open the drive on your TV. Check if it is visible in Device Manager and Disk Management. Try using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and check the device. Formatting it may help, if you do not have any important data stored on it.
Even if you access the device, make sure you have scanned it thoroughly, because physical damage may damage the drives and, when it comes to personal data, reliability is very important.

Hope this helps