Recovering Data from a crashed pc

Closed
RJ - Mar 17, 2009 at 08:45 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 17, 2009 at 04:34 PM
Hello,

I've had my Dell XPS laptop running on Windows Vista for about a year. It crashed about a month ago with a failed Graphics card and possibly a failed Video card. When a Dell technician tried to replace the cards he found the harddrive to be jammed and told me that if he tried to force it out it'd likely break. He's suggested that I call a technician to backup my data but I'm not sure I can afford it. I wondered if anyone could suggest a way that I could attempt to recover the data myself. When I turn the laptop on now it simply turns itself off again after a few seconds. I believe it can still recognise the disk drive though.

Could anyone suggest anything?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM
First off a Graphics card and a Video card are two terms for the same thing. Also hard drives do not "get jammed". I would not trust any info you got from this technician(??). You can remove the hard drive from the laptop and move it to a USB 2.5 inch hard drive adapter. This adapter will convert the hard drive to an external USB hard drive. You data should be accessible from any computer using a USB port. The cost should be less than $40 US. Have a computer repair shop do it and it should cost less than $80 total.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the reply,

He told me that the laptop was likely put together badly and that the hard drive was supposed to slide out but it didn't. I could call another technician and ask them to try but if they can't remove the hard drive without breaking it, which is what the technician said, then I'm not so sure I want to try to remove it. Could you possibly suggest another way to get my data without needing to remove the hard drive. If that's not possible then I suppose it's my only option.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 17, 2009 at 04:34 PM
OK I stand corrected - a Hard drive caddy can be jammed. The data is not accessible if the computer does not boot. If you have decided the laptop is beyond saving. You could try a vary light application of a spray lubricant ( I use WD-40) and position the laptop to let the liquid drain down hill. This might allow the hard drive to be removed. The plastic case might break before you damage the hard drive. The hard drive is screwed into a plastic or metal caddy, depending on model, that is designed to slide into the laptop case. Good Luck