Hard Drive / Power Supply Problems

Closed
TwistedChikon Posts 6 Registration date Sunday February 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 10, 2015 - Feb 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM
TwistedChikon Posts 6 Registration date Sunday February 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 10, 2015 - Apr 10, 2015 at 08:08 AM
Hello, I'm having problems with my power supply / hard drive / graphics card (I'm not completely sure what it is). I've just received a new graphics card (Nvidia GTX 650) and whenever I plug it into my computer at low voltage (115V) it simply does not boot up, my computer beeps (It always does that even without the graphics card in), on high voltage, the voltage that it is meant to be run on, (230V) it does the exact same thing, except the fans run at a much higher speed (Both the graphics card and the onboard fan). Even if I unplug the graphics card, the computer boots up fine on 115V, but on 230V, it doesn't.

Awaiting your response,
Twistedchikon

Related:

4 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 2, 2015 at 02:44 AM
Hi there,

Do you get any error message after the beep or the PC just stops loading? Is BIOS accessible? The voltage is usually chosen by the country you live in. If you live in the US, use the 115V. If in Europe -230V. Why do you suspect a HDD problem? If you have access to BIOS, check if the hard drive is correctly listed there.

Hope this helps
TwistedChikon Posts 6 Registration date Sunday February 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 10, 2015
Feb 2, 2015 at 07:41 AM
I can't get access to anything, it simply boots up, all fans begin running, the hard drive makes it normal whizzing sound and the monitor does not come on.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 2, 2015 at 04:11 PM
I wonder why you tried plugging a PC set to run at 115V into a 240V mains supply :-

"on high voltage, the voltage that it is meant to be run on, (230V) "

Switching it ti 115V and plugging it into a 240V supply WILL destroy the Power supply! ... and possibly more.

Where in the world are you? Note what R2D2_WD says about location.

The graphics card is quite power hungry and requires a system supply of at least 400W - this will discount all peripherals like DVD drives and the like. Does the power supply satisfy this requirement

This graphics card needs a direct link to the power supply. Is it plugged in?

Good luck.

I really appreciate kudos points as a payment for solving issues :o)
TwistedChikon Posts 6 Registration date Sunday February 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 10, 2015
Feb 2, 2015 at 05:10 PM
My power supply runs at either 115V or 230V, and the mains supply can supply sufficient power at 230V. The power supply itself is 500W and the graphics card should need a maximum of 64W. For the direct link to the power supply, my graphics card does not have a 6-pin/Molex to plug it in directly, and it should be able to pull 75W from the motherboard. As for the computer itself, it still will not run at high power.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 2, 2015 at 07:22 PM
Hi Twistedchikon,

I have no doubt that the power supply is switchable. That is so the PC can be used in two different countries - one based on a 230V mains supply, and the other that that supplies 115V through their mains. It is not not so the PC will provide better performance.

It is good that you have a 500W power supply.

May I point you to the GeForce web site - (https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/specifications) where the specification tab and scrolling down a bit clearly shows the minimum power supply needed is 400W for this card. The images tab shows what looks suspiciously like the 6 pin power connector mentioned on the specification tab. It is slightly obscured by other components, but it is there.

As for your PC not working on the 230V setting - Are you living in a 115V country. If you are no damage should occur to your PC if switched to 230V, but it will not be able to make the PC function. If you live in a 230V mains supply region I fear damage has occurred and amazingly the 115V setting is supplying enough power to run some fans.

I am surprised there was not a big bang and a putrid smell of burning capacitors as soon as you switched it on if you set it to 115V while it was plugged into a 230V supply, but perhaps this model has a safety cut out. I do hope so.

I will duck out of further comments on this unless you specifically invite me to comment further, and I will leave this for other members to see if they can solve this conundrum for you, but I will monitor the thread in case I can learn something new.

Again ... good luck.

I really appreciate kudos points as a payment for solving issues :o)
Apr 10, 2015 at 08:08 AM
Alright, I need your help again, I got a new card and even that one isn't working.