-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
-
Hello,
per the title, I am trying to restore a lap top to it's factory settings. I have seen in forums that there is an internal file that is the original set up "disk", but I don't know where to find it..the other methods of reset don't work
thank you

2 replies

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Just do chkdsk
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps. It worked for me, and should work for you.

ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.
Thank you, but I tried that..never got to a warning screen..went into advanced options, and none of the options worked. I read somewhere that there is a way to create a boot disk from the hard drive b/c the VISTA software is all stored on the HDD. I can't do that - can't get all the way to those commands, but I can get to a command prompt. I am looking around to see where the VISTA setup exe file is so I can reinstall from there.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
11,710 > Nancy
If you have command prompt type chkdsk-r and enter, watch for results.
After that type sfc/scannow
Let me know
Registration date
Monday February 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
February 17, 2015

chkdsk-r
"is not recognized as an internal or external command. operable program or batch file"
sfc/scannow
"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"