System sometimes boots but sometimes doesn't

Closed
omnitrix Posts 3 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015 - Feb 20, 2015 at 12:41 AM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 20, 2015 at 08:06 AM
Hi,

I am having this issue for a long time. Sometimes my system boots properly and works well. But sometimes it doesn't even boot i.e. it shows nothing on screen only the power light turns on and fan runs once, however after that it starts heating up from the left side where the fan is.

My Laptop is Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 with Nvidia graphics GE630.

I ran dignostics several times once system is started but nothing comes apart from 8-9 bad sector on hard disk (which I don't feel are very problematic). Can you please suggest what can be the issue because if it boots it works pretty well but otherwise it takes sometimes 3-4 hours to start it.

Also nowadays I have started using the laptop without shutting down and performance is getting worse everyday. Furthermore the indicator light next to power never goes down with constant low sound of something being rotating inside.

Operating System - Ubuntu 14.04
Hardware - I5(3rd Gen); 4GB RAM

Please let me know if any further details required.

Thanks in advance

1 response

Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2015 at 04:30 AM
Hello,

my first thought would be "is my hard drive okay?"

You need to perform a disk check on your hard drive.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

In the LiveCD, LiveDVD or LiveUSB and without any additional installation you have the Disk application. Simply open Dash and type disk, you will see the "Disk Utility"

Now select your HDD or SDD and then select the Gear icons to the right. From that menu select the SMART option

Here you can see the state of the disk, Temperature, Powered on time and any errors it has, any FAILS it has and you can even check it for problems with the Start Self-Test button

So as you can see the LiveCD, LiveDVD or LiveUSB comes in handy when you want to do some diagnostics on the computer.

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
omnitrix Posts 3 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 07:58 AM
Hi kieferschild,

I tried this but unable to start the machine same problem. I got it running after 2 hours now. Please let me know next step.

Thanks
Blocked Profile > omnitrix Posts 3 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 07:59 AM
If you've booted into Ubuntu follow my instructions above.
omnitrix Posts 3 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 08:03 AM
Thanks for prompt response,

Let me try it again. I booted with hard disk after couple of tries with usb drive. It might take some time not sure how much coz it completely depends upon whether system boots or not.

BTW I have a dual boot of windows 8.1 & ubuntu 14.04. If this information is useful.

Thanks
Blocked Profile > omnitrix Posts 3 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 08:06 AM
Within Ubuntu you need to open the dash and type disk.