Pc only boots after i clear cmos

[Closed]
-
 subbu -
Hello,

I have a dell dimesion desktop, with pentium 3.2ghz, 2 gb ram running XP sp3.
Since yesterday, it wont boot up from the power on button, but if i clear the cmos, it will autoboot. it will restart ok once booted, but if i shutdown, i have to clear cmos again before it will start. However, after i insert the power cable, all the lights come on for just a second then it dies. I have tried playing with the RAM but to no avail. Is there anyone who knows of a similiar prob ?

cheers

5 replies

This a neither Windows problem nor a CMOS Battery Problem. It is problem with Motherboard BIOS. You get your bios upgraded or Check Motherboard for any shorted near CMOS Battery and Jumper.
Thank You.
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2821 users have said thank you to us this month

I have the same problem , and did not know what to do , every time I have to clear the cmos to get a boot to the set up screen.
How do you update the Bios..??????
any help would be very appreciated..
thank you
Albert
Thank you

i have the same problem .how to solve this problem ?
regards
subash cochin
Thank you

Registration date
Sunday January 4, 2009
Status
Last seen
January 5, 2009
this is just a gues,..does it have an old cmos battery??try replacing your cmos battery...maybe its busted..
Registration date
Tuesday June 8, 2004
Status
Contributor
Last seen
November 25, 2015
No, when the battery is busted the CMOS is cleared every time u shut off the computer.

I think somethimg in windows is corrupting the Bios settings.
Try a System Restore to the point just before this issue began. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/support/sysrestore.mspx