New video card, no signal. Help?

Closed
AmberLepu Posts 1 Registration date Friday February 27, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2015 - Feb 27, 2015 at 09:45 PM
 AmberLepu - Mar 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Hello all, I just recently decided to upgrade my pc's processor and video card. Well, I uninstalled the graphics drivers and plugged my shiny, new parts in...only to receive no signal or power to my monitor, mouse, keyboard, and the cd drive won't open. What have I done?

The old parts were a phenom II and gtx 580. The new parts are an 8350 amd and a gtx 970. I'm running them on a 1200w power supply and 6 gigs of ram. I believe the mother board is a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. It's connected by a VGA cable.

All the fans are running on the card and power supply, and I've tried reseating the card in multiple slots, as well as switching back to the old hardware. Even with the old parts, it won't boot.

Update: Just tried reseating all of the ram but still no dice. I also tried clearing the Clos but nada.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM
It's possible that you have damaged the motherboard when you swapped the parts. Static electricity can blow the MB if you are not grounded.

It's possible that you can find a used MB on Ebay.

Good Luck
Well, the good news is we got it to come up for like ten seconds, bad news is it booped off after that. I'm hoping this means the motherboard lives?