ASUS, Changed Hard Drive, Black Screen and Cursor

Closed
TJByrum Posts 4 Registration date Saturday April 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 19, 2015 - Apr 18, 2015 at 03:38 PM
 USMC0708 - Jul 11, 2015 at 12:09 AM
I changed the hard drive in our ASUS laptop. When you turn it on, it does everything normal until you get to the login screen and shows only a black screen with the white cursor.

I've tried changing the boot priority to CD and redoing the Windows on it, but I still get the black screen and cursor.

I've also tried to do things in Safe Mode, but they also take me to the black screen.

I can get to the BIOS.
Related:

4 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Apr 18, 2015 at 06:11 PM
Hi TJ,

This can happen if there is a USB device plugged into the machine. Check and take anything out before switching on. Also make sure the DVD drive is empty.

Finally, the new Hard drive - is it really brand new? you will need to install an operating system on it if it is - and if it isnt, then the hardware that the drive now sees may not be compatible with the operating system already on it. There may be too many hardware changes and it not be configured for it. If this is the case try doing a repair install of the operating system, or if you dont mind losing all the data and programs on it do a full (clean) install of the operating system.

Let me know how you get on.
TJByrum Posts 4 Registration date Saturday April 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 19, 2015
Apr 18, 2015 at 08:36 PM
I will try to take the disc out of the disc drive and see if that helps.

But no, the Hard Drive is not exactly new. It's from another, broken laptop, but it was bigger so we just swapped the bigger Hard Drive to the working laptop. So that's probably the problem, cause it's not wiped clean.

I can't get to a point where it will let me repair/clean-install anything, cause like I said, I always get the black-screen-and-cursor.

Could I put the Hard Drive back in the other laptop, format it, then put it back in the other laptop?
TJByrum Posts 4 Registration date Saturday April 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 19, 2015
Apr 18, 2015 at 09:28 PM
We put the Hard Drive back in the original laptop and powered it on.

It requires a password. Not for the windows, but the computer itself I guess. It's like the BIOS theme. It's a blue and grey box which pops up as soon as the computer comes on. There are no other screens, and you don't even get the option to use the ESC or Function keys. It goes directly to a BIOS-esque password screen. We do not know this password.

Any way to bypass this? Perhaps a factory reset or something?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Apr 19, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Sorry, but I dont know a solution to this new issue, but that is probably why the other machine cannot boot from it. I fresh (and therefore unlocked) drive would let you install a new Operating System on it.
You can pull the bios battery for resetting the bios password but it will remove all bios settings. I don't think that will change anything when the hard drive is in a different machine tho.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Apr 20, 2015 at 02:57 AM
Hi TJByrum,

Have you done a clean Windows installation on the new drive. If it comes from another PC, a new installation should be done. To install OS on that drive, you need to use installation USB or DVD and boot from it ( change boot order from BIOS). If you have done that and you still get the black screen and cursor, try opening Task Manger, by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. Enter processes and end the explorer.exe. From file add new process, writing explorer.exe in the line. Any change?
In general, you could format the drive on its original PC, but you still need to install OS from your PC. Resetting BIOS can be done from the BIOS menu or removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds and the rebooting. I recommend you to check your motherboard's manual before going for the CMOS.

Hope this helps

Apr 20, 2015 at 09:14 AM
I would generally agree R2D2, but in this case it seems as though the Hard Drive is locked down with a password. This will stop anything going onto or out of the drive.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021
Apr 21, 2015 at 04:15 AM
Yes, you have a point. It may be a hard drive encryption and it is up to the drive's firmware if formatting will solve it. In many cases full erase deletes the data and the password requirement. At first look it appeared to me that it was some BIOS lock down.