No hard drive detected

[Closed]
-
 Blocked Profile -
Hello, My computer fell to the ground while it was running. I turned it off and when I turned it back on it won't boot up. I get a black screen that has writing stating that SMARt failed. Then I hit escape and ran a system check and no it reads no hard drive detected. This is a Dell desktop

3 replies

Hello,

I often fall over whilst running too.

chances are the hard disk has come loose out of its connection or you've managed to bugger the hard drive when you dropped it.

i would turn your laptop on and listen for a clicking sound. That would give you a good indication.
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Hi Valerie,

Sadly, physical damage may harm your hard drive. Other possibility is that you are facing a connectivity issue. If your laptop is under warranty, contact the reseller. If the warranty has expired, I would advise you to check the laptop's manual. You may need to open the laptop and remove the hard drive. Connect it to another laptop or in a desktop, as a secondary storage device. If you do not feel confident enough to open the laptop, I would recommend you to contact a technician.

Hope this helps

I don't think dropping your laptop is covered under warranty. But, i imagine that the hard drive is pretty much done.