Laptop hardware issues

Closed
roy338 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 12, 2015 - Jun 12, 2015 at 03:34 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 16, 2015 at 05:07 PM
Hi
I dropped my dell inspiron N5040 laptop from the couch which is less than 2 feet of height yesterday whilst browsing, when i checked the screen froze and i couldn't do anything about it so i had to restart the laptop and it took a while to pop the windows startup screen with a frequent beeping sound and then all i could see was a black screen with cursor. I ran the diagnostic test and my hard drive failed to detect. I have some really important pictures in it which i don't want to lose. I don't want to repair it at the shop due to privacy issues.
Can someone please help me.
More info-
OS- windows 7 professional
I've tried unplugging all the cables, battery and usb and pressed the power switch for a couple of minutes to release the static energy and tried turning it on but didn't work.
Related:

2 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Jun 12, 2015 at 04:26 AM
Hello,
you should make a backup first remove your hard disk from the laptop and connect it to another laptop or pc (with usb to sata converter) and try to see whether it is recognized in any other pc.

Also tell that did you able to get into BIOS.. and did you hear any beeps?

Did you try to connect external monitor to see what happen?

Question: How did you run the diagnostic test with black screen?
roy338 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 12, 2015
Jun 12, 2015 at 05:02 AM
Hi
First of all thank you for taking out your time to help me out.
Like i said when i turn on the laptop it looks normal, I'm able to see the windows start up screen, it asks for my admin password and once i enter the password it takes extra couple of minutes to login and then the black screen with just the cursor which i can move.
Thats how i could run the diagnostic
I never tried getting into BIOS though, I'm not really sure how to do that since I'm not a computer expert. I could hear the beeping sound when i restarted the laptop for the first time after the fall (don't remember the beeping counts) now it doest beep at all.
I also tried connecting to other laptop and it doesnt detect there as well. I've somehow managed to dismantle my laptop and remove the hard disk out. I'd also like to ask if it is safe to open my hard disk myself?
Thanks
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Jun 12, 2015 at 05:21 AM
Hello roy338,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

My advice is that DO NOT open the hard disk by yourself without knowing much about it!

Ok lets follow the steps.
1) switch off your laptop
2) remove the battery
3) Remove the RAM also
press power button for 30 seconds
4) replace the battery and RAM
5) switch on the laptop
If still the screen did not come
Try to hear fan spinning sound inside the laptop!
then your motherboard is ok now!
there are two other things to keep this screen happen!
1) Hard disk
2) crashed windows in hard disk

Promptly i thought it happen because of windows crashed to make sure..
press F8 continuously at the immediate startup of your laptop until you got safe mode screen or startup repair screen.
roy338 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 12, 2015 > Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016
Jun 12, 2015 at 08:25 AM
Hi
I removed the RAM and the battery and pressed the power button for 30 seconds.
The fan is working fine.
I tried f8 and run in safe mode as well but unfortunately it didn't work.

I read in one if the threads that changing the disk controller setting from ACHI to IDE might work. Do you suggest that?
Jun 12, 2015 at 08:50 AM
First check out with that whether you have that settings otherwise leave as it is.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jun 16, 2015 at 05:07 PM
It sounds like the hard drive was damaged and Windows is unable to start. You might try buying a new hard drive, reinstalling Windows, using an external USB drive enclosure with the old hard drive. You might be able to extract the pictures that way.

Good Luck