2TB HDD turns to 1TB HDD, after Windows 7 crashed.

Closed
S.Raskreia Posts 1 Registration date Friday July 31, 2015 Status Member Last seen July 31, 2015 - Jul 31, 2015 at 05:11 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 3, 2015 at 06:36 AM
Hello,

I was using a 2TB HDD for my CPU and the windows 7 on it crashed, I tried using the windows CD to repair it but, i failed. So i went to use another CPU to open up my 2TB HDD but it only shows me 1TB worth of space. After Google-ing for ways and methods, I still can't find a way to get back the missing 1TB. There is a program called HDD capacity restore, after installing it I tried to open it but it state "Error opening drivers". Anyone have any idea what actually happen to my HDD ? I've check my disk management and it only shows me 931.41GB available. And before the windows crashed, I did have a partition on my HDD.

Thanks in advance if anyone could help me retrieve the missing Data or just recovering the missing 1TB.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 3, 2015 at 06:36 AM
Hi S.Raskreia,

It would be really helpful if you upload a screenshot of your Disk Management screen. Do you have son unassigned space, marked with black line? Sadly, I am not familiar with the software you used to restore the data, but I would advise you to open the Command Prompt and use the Diskpart Command.
It should look like this:
Diskpart
List volume

Check if the correct capacity is displayed.
If the capacity is still missing, check if the hard drive is recognized in BIOS. Boot from a Linux Live CD and check the drive capacity. You might get access to those missing 1 TB. If you do, backup all important data.

Hope this helps