External hard drive, can't copy or move files

Closed
John2241 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 5, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2015 - Aug 5, 2015 at 04:17 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 6, 2015 at 02:41 AM
I can view the files on my external hard drives, but I can't copy or move them. Help !
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 5, 2015 at 08:13 AM
Hi John,

I would recommend you to enter Disk Management and check the drive's drive letter and file format. Have you used the drive on a different OS? I strongly recommend you the check if the situation is the same on another PC. Go to the drive manufacturer's web page and search for some driver updates. Are you trying to access the drive as an Administrator? Update your anti virus software and do a complete scan.
Check this thread for some additional suggestions: https://ccm.net/forum/affich-718765-can-t-transfer-data-from-external-hard-drive

Hope this helps
John2241 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 5, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2015
Aug 6, 2015 at 02:11 AM
Many thanks for your reply to my problem. I haven't tried all your suggestions as yet. I have checked the drive letter and file format in Disk Management, where the drive is reported as being healthy and functional. I cannot however a scan and fix on it and when attempting to defragment it, it does not show up with my other drives. I still cannot copy or move data from the drive. I haven't used it on another OS, but I have tried it on my laptop with same result. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 on both my desktop and my laptop. I have also performed a complete scan using both Bit Defender and Malwarebytes with no adverse reports. I will check for updates from the manufacturer, Western Digital, and I'll also check out the forum thread youi suggested. it's all very frustrating. Computers are such wonderful tools when everything's running smoothly, but bloody monsters when they're not ! Thanks again R2D2 for your help, it's much appreciated. Regards John
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 6, 2015 at 02:41 AM
I recommend you to download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and do a complete scan of the drive. That way you may exclude drive failure. Use the download link below. If the drive appears healthy, the problem may be coming form a software issue or data corruption. If the drive has a drive letter, enter Command Prompt and type:

chkdsk d: /r ( where d is the drive letter)

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=dZjh6Q - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows