Help! important keys on HP Pavilion G6 not working!!

[Closed]
Registration date
Wednesday September 9, 2015
Status
Last seen
September 11, 2015
-
 Blocked Profile -
Hi there, I have a HP Pavilion G6 laptop with in-built keyboard. For no apparent reason, the spacebar, backspace, enter and up/down arrow keys have stopped working. I am typing this on the on-screen keyboard.

- the keys won't work in any program
-the keys DO work fine in safe mode, which makes me think it is not a hardware problem
- I upgraded to Windows 10 not too long ago and wonder if there might be a compatibility issue of some kind
- I have tried turning off sticky keys and this doesn't help
- turning off the PC and removing battery didn't help either - neither did restoring defaults after pressing escape during startup and pressing F10 etc

What to do??

anyhintsverygratefullyreceived!!THANKYOU
Related:

3 replies

Hit Windows for an update. Yesterday there was quite a few released.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
September 11, 2015

Thanks,butsadlyhasn'tworked
Registration date
Friday February 6, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 18, 2016
what about right click on keyboard option in device manager and select update driver?
Registration date
Status
Last seen
September 11, 2015

thank you for the reply, but it says the latest driver is fully installed. i'm running an avg scan to see if that does anything...
Registration date
Status
Last seen
September 11, 2015

I ran a scan with AVG and have even tried resetting the whole PC - no joy.

I took it to a shop today and the guy said my defective screen may be causing it. I have a dodgy screen with what I think is a loose connection inside, meaning the only way I can stop it whiting out is to put something in the gap between screen and motherboard (folded paper) to make it bend! It works, and honestly I'm rather sceptical of the idea that it affects the keys...particularly as they work in safe mode and also at one point during the process of resetting the PC. I think he would like to sell me a new keyboard and screen!

Thanks for the tips, still got the problem so any more ideas very much appreciated!
Registration date
Friday February 6, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 18, 2016
Download Malwarebytes Hope it will catch some malware that causing the issue!
Registration date
Status
Last seen
September 11, 2015

Thanks but I'm afraid it didn't help. Quick update: the keys work when the wifi button (F12 for me) is switched off! Bizarre
Registration date
Friday February 6, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 18, 2016
seriously out of ideas!

OK, check your warranty. I saw where alot of these problems are acutally hardware issues, go here and submit for warranty:http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home

In the meantime, make certain it isn't a stuck key:https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933#AbT5
The above link is HP direct, so if your machine is under warranty, ask them if it is ok to follow the above direction!!