USB flash drive can not be formatted

Closed
Anjan - Sep 21, 2015 at 01:32 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 23, 2015 at 03:26 AM
Hello,

I have a kingstone 8gb pen drive which I wanted to make bootable. But due to power cut I could not complete the process. Since then whenever I connect the pen drive to the computer a message shows: "You need to format the disk in drive j: before you can use it". If I want to format it an error message shows "windows can not format j". I then tried to format it on DOS, but here also I got an error "Insert new disk for drive j: and press enter when ready". But if I press enter it shows "error in IOCTL call". I tried to format it in the "disk management" console but could not. I even tried third party software to format it, but unsuccessful. Please suggest me what to do actually. Please help.

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 23, 2015 at 03:26 AM
Hi Anjan,

Have you tried formatting the drive on another PC? I recommend you to do so, because the issue may be OS related. Try using the Diskpart D: /f command from the command prompt.
Another option is to open Device Manager and search for your flash drive. Uninstall it and restart the PC. Plug the drive back in and try to format it.
If the same issue appears even on another PC, sadly there is a chance that the USB flash drive has been damaged.

Hope this helps