Weird Write Protected USB Drive

Closed
The Guy Who Talks About Beer - Sep 25, 2015 at 03:55 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 28, 2015 at 02:53 AM
Hello, So I've had an Imation 8GB USB drive probably around 5-6 months, so fairly new. But one day my USB drive just doesn't want to receive SOME files, especially big files (I'm talking about 2GB+). The files I tried to copy were movie files and game files, it just suddenly stopped copying them. I tried formatting my USB in different ways. I also tried using the cmd trick, It said that it is not actually write-protected, it's just every time I try to copy certain files it just turns into a useless USB drive. I can still copy word documents, presentations, etc. It's like locked whenever I try to copy things besides word documents and excel and those basic things. Oh! and I also forgot to mention, there is no write-protection switch anywhere on the USB drive.

Any help?

Thanks
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 28, 2015 at 02:53 AM
Hi The Guy Who Talks About Beer,

Do you get an error, when trying to copy bigger files? In general, it is important how big those files are. If they are more than 4 GB, the issue may be file format related, because of the FAT 32 format limitation. However, those limitations should not affect files smaller than 4 GB. I would switch the file format to NTFS and try again. If the issue persists and you have tried the pen drive on another PC, there may be a problem with your pen drive.

Hope this helps