Excel 2010 - "file is corrupt and cannot be opened"

Closed
bloodworth Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 22, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 22, 2015 - Oct 22, 2015 at 08:47 AM
bearcrawl Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 5, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 5, 2016 - May 5, 2016 at 12:20 PM
Hello,

We're upgrading to Office 2010 and having some fun issues with old and new .xls files.

Current issue is that many .xls files (as opposed to the new .xlsx files) we get an error when trying to open them. The error states "File is corrupt and cannot be opened". [see attached screenshot]. For the sake of testing, we can create a new file and save as a .xls and get the same error.

I have followed instructions to go into Excel's trust center and unchecked all items in protected view, with no success.

Currently I'm getting this on two computers. As a workaround, these users have been emailing these "corrupt" files to me and I convert them to an .xlsx file and they work fine.

Both computers with the issue are newer Dell's (different models) running Win7 Pro (x86), Office Standard 2010

Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 22, 2015 at 07:04 PM
This is going to sound weird, but what type of CPU do you have INtel, or AMD? There are some graphics drivers for Intel that will cause that error. Just saying.
bearcrawl Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 5, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 5, 2016
May 5, 2016 at 12:20 PM
In case you can't handle your issue via the guide on above, then your excel file is severely corrupted and you may offer following sources below, last one was created only for complicated cases

<REMOVED>

Run Repair
The first thing to try is to open it with the Repair option in Excel. You can do this by clicking on File and then Open. In the Open dialog box, single click on the Excel file and then click on the small arrow next to the Open button.

Go ahead and click on Open and Repair and you’ll get a message asking if you want to repair, which will recover as much data as possible or if you simply want to extract data, which will copy out the formulas and values.

You can try to repair first and see if it can recover the whole file, if not, you can then try to extract the data.