Headphone jack not working windows 7

Closed
kag - Nov 1, 2015 at 01:40 AM
ctree42 Posts 23 Registration date Wednesday January 13, 2016 Status Contributor Last seen June 1, 2017 - Jan 13, 2016 at 03:32 PM
Hello,

my head phones work perfectly fine but when I plug them into my computer they don't work, I look under audio devices and they don't register so you'd assume it's the hardware, but they were working right before I went from windows 32 bit to 64 (pro) I tried to go to "device manager" and it says "nothing is wrong" despite only having drivers from 2010 it wont update I went to lintel's website (make of my laptop) and all they did was delete my capability for wireless. How ever it did register an issue but it keeps saying failed to install the update, what should I do?

Related:

1 response

ctree42 Posts 23 Registration date Wednesday January 13, 2016 Status Contributor Last seen June 1, 2017
Jan 13, 2016 at 03:32 PM
Your sound card driver may be incompatible with the 64-bit version of windows 7.

Let's diagnose the issue further. Goto Control Panel, click on Sound, then click on the Playback Tab. Locate your audio device there, you should also see an option called Speakers. Click on Properties, in the Levels tab, you should see a slider on either Speakers, or Front/Back Input. If the sliders are move-able and not grayed out, position the volume all the way up. Also by clicking on the Advanced tab, you can click on the Test button to see if you have sound.

If that doesn't work then go back to the manufacturers website, locate the driver section for your computer (make/model), find the name of the sound card, type that in google and do a search for the 64-bit version of the driver. If nothing pops up, as a last resort I use a software called Driver Detective, this program finds every driver 95% of the time: https://www.driversupport.com

If all still fails, here are two options you have, either a) upgrade/downgrade to an operating system that is compatible with you existing sound card or b) buy an external usb sound card

Hope that helps.