Laptop is connected to the internet but can't browse

Solved/Closed
afranklin98 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 5, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 6, 2015 - Updated on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM
 fatlinoff - Nov 24, 2017 at 06:01 PM
Its been so long, and i'm trying to make it up to her so im trying to fix her laptop, because im pretty good with computers otherwise. Basically shes wirelessly connected and I tried connecting my computers ethernet cord to it, and shes 100% connected, no other application or browser says shes connected though. So that made me think hm maybe there is a virus, so I ran it in safe mode with networking and it let me browse, so I know there is a virus on it. But mainly my question is, any tips to fix or could I somehow get a windows 10 download off this laptop and just wipe the other one hard installation of windows 10 and just factory new brand new computer settings. I'm currently running MalwareBytes, I know its a virus though, I just don't know how to fix it. What other computer can browse in safe mode but can't in regular.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Nov 5, 2015 at 08:05 PM
Perhaps this tip might help:

Try the following:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator (click Start, type "command prompt" in the search bar, right-click the Command Prompt icon that will appear and choose "Run As Administrator" from the menu).

Enter the following commands followed by enter:

netsh I i r r

netsh winsock reset

You will be resetting the tcp/ip stack and the winsock catalog. You will need to restart afterwards. That usually fixes the problem. Follow this up with a malware check. Something has messed with your networking stacks.

Are you running multiple anti-virus programs and/or firewalls? You should only be running one at a time.
afranklin98 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 5, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 6, 2015
Nov 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM
The computer will run in safemode I am 95% sure that it is a virus, Ill check if it works after the malwarebytes scan after I get home, the laptop is able to browse the internet fine in safemode with networking so i'm pretty sure its a virus or application blocking the usage of her browsers.
afranklin98 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 5, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 6, 2015
Nov 6, 2015 at 11:15 AM
At the very worst, I'm just going to do a full wipe on her laptop and reinstall windows 7 on it, and then hopefully the virus will be gone.
Thank you so much.. it works with my laptop
Apreciate it, working on me thank a lot mate!!
Thanks for an excellent answer - worked perfectly. Ended three hours of technology torment!