Toshiba HDD password

Closed
69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 - Nov 19, 2015 at 06:16 PM
69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 - Dec 9, 2015 at 07:34 PM
Evening All:

I'm helping a friend TRY to get his TOSHIBA PORTEGE R100 up and running. First, and foremost, I need to know how to erase/override/bypass or otherwise eradicate the password on the HDD. This CAN be done, I just am not aware of the best method to do so. I NEED to be able to "wipe" the entire drive before I install another O.S. And...would this old of a laptop be compatible with LinuxMint 17? Appreciate all feedback!
THANX:
Rick
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Nov 19, 2015 at 06:43 PM
If you need to wipe the drive, then do it, you don't need a password to do it. Run diskpart and clean it!

Have you tried this?
https://ccm.net/computing/computers-laptops/1515-restore-toshiba-laptop-to-factory-settings/

69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 3
Nov 19, 2015 at 06:56 PM
ac3mark:

Thanx for responding. OK, I have and will use DBAN for the "wipe" hoping that the HDD encryption will not interfere (demand a "passcode"). Should that be accomplished, I'll then install a new and different operation system. So, I don't think going back to "factory reset" is what I'm needing/wanting to do?
Thanx:
Rick
Blocked Profile
Nov 19, 2015 at 07:57 PM
If you are worried about encryption, it will be gone with the new OS! I am not understanding what data is going to be left after the new install? Is it a BIOS password on the disk?
69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 3 > Blocked Profile
Dec 9, 2015 at 07:34 PM
To ac3mark:

No, not worried about the password...per se. I just needed to get around the HDD's password in order to install different O.S. From what I garnered in/from the forums in which I posted, the consensus was DBAN was the way to go! It wouldn't eliminate the passcode, but would eliminate it from 'asking" for it. (It a rather long synapses). Anyway, the friend solved the dilemma for me...he pawned off the laptop!! LOL LOL. And my way to "conquer" this problem will be to avoid (as I'll tell everyone else to) Toshiba products!! As I do understand their "reasoning" for the passcode, it's also a ploy to render their HDD's useless in hopes that you'll buy more of their products. FAT CHANCE...for me, anyways!!

Stay Sharp:
Rick