Ext. hard drive video files won't recover

Closed
pasquinnal Posts 1 Registration date Thursday November 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 19, 2015 - Nov 19, 2015 at 08:01 AM
 pasquinnal - Nov 20, 2015 at 08:10 AM
Hi,
My 1 terabyte Seagate ext. hard drive files won't open. In fact, the computer doesn't recognize the drive by it's old name, "Passport D" instead, it's "Drive G". I get the "file is corrupted and unreadable" The drive has a mix of stills & video on it. My boy loaded receva & I thought everything would be recovered. Unfortunately, the video files, even though they're listed, won't open. The stills seem to be recovered but the videos...not only won't open but it almost looks like they were broken up as I have perhaps 200 separate files instead of 8 or 9 that were on there.
Thanks,
Jim
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Nov 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM
Hey there, pasquinnal.

I'd suggest that you try the basic troubleshooting steps first, to see if you have any luck with a computer recognizing the drive properly - try the HDD with a different computer and a different USB cable (preferably shorter than 12"). If you have no luck, you could try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is basically a portable, freeware, bootable version of Linux), to see if you can access the HDD properly and if you can recover your files. If that doesn't work as well, you could always try out a different data recovery program or go for a professional solution, such as a data recovery company.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative
Thanks Boogieman! I'll try this.
jim