Using .bat file to open file in diff location [Solved/Closed]

- - Latest reply:  Nahid - Dec 10, 2010 at 08:32 AM
Hello,

I'm working on developing a menu for a USB flash drive.

I have .bat file that opens a spreadsheet with a program that is installed on the flash drive.
The code looks something like this:

Start /d \Folder1\folder2\folderofprogram Name of program.exe "Name of file.ods"

This code works well but the problem is I need to have the file in the same directory as the program.
Is there a way to make the .bat file open the file from a different directory on the USB flash drive?

I think this is a simple problem but was not able to find any information about it.

Thanks for any help!
See more 

2 replies

Best answer
Thank you
Use UNC path name. so something like this: \\computername\folder\filename or \\mypc\c:\windows\testfile.exe

Hope this helps.

Say "Thank you" 3

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 6327 users have said thank you to us this month

But how do open file which is save in "Program File"
Thank you
It depends on where the bat-file itself resides on what program you try to start etc. For instance, to get the drive letter of the batch file path you could use SET DRIVE=%~d0 in your batch file. On the command line (cmd.exe) have a look at "help for", this might help you with this. Or have a look at http://www.robvanderwoude.com/batchhowto.php .

I know it will take some time to master this... I'm sorry I can't come up with a ready-to-use solution.