Downgrading fron internet explorer8 to 7

Solved/Closed
hafizmohammed1 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday March 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 10, 2009 - Apr 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM
 Troublebgone - Apr 9, 2013 at 06:23 AM
Hello,
i am having a problem with my internet explorer 8 so I want to downgrade to internet explorer 7. I tried installing intenet explorer back but it displays an error message that a newer versin of it is already installed....pls how can I switch back?i need help.
Related:

9 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Apr 14, 2009 at 06:09 PM
I uninstalled Explorer 8 using the "Add or Remove Programs" option that you can find in "Control Panel". When you remove IE8 it will reinstall IE7 automatically. Good Luck
how to find it in control panel,cos I cant see IE 8 in there.I just guess that IE8 install uncompletely and named as MSMXL,so I delete it.thx for ur reply.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827 > kay
Jan 15, 2010 at 07:44 PM
Your not looking for a IE8 icon your looking for the "Add or Remove Programs" icon in the Control Panel.
After selecting it you will need to scroll down to find "Windows Internet Explorer 8"

Good Luck
How to disable F12 function win-7 & how to downgrade IE8 to IE7 in win 7?...Because some bank sectors they are making some shorts in IE..In IE8 some shortcuts are not working,,,, help me!!!!!!!!!
Press F12 (developer tools) and then change browser mode to ie 7.
WOW. There are no words ... wish I had read this 7 hours ago
download ie 7
candgproducts dot com
Aug 11, 2009 at 08:51 PM
use add/remove from control panel like xpcman explained. it DOES work. I did this on ALL of my Vista and XP computers. I HATE ie8!

good luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Aug 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM
Yes I did.
Maybe you'll have to uninstall the upgrades first from add/remove programs. After doing that, if you don't see the uninstall button, go to windows/IE8 and inside you'll find the folder named spuninst, execute the file spuninst.exe. This file will uninstall IE8.
According to Microsoft if you uninstall IE8 there will still be some parts of it left to work with Windows. It will not completely uninstall, so in order to view web pages you will need a third party browser like Mozilla.

See the Microsoft article.

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
Article ID: 957700 - Last Review: March 19, 2010 - Revision: 9.0 ... Therefore, if you remove Internet Explorer 8, you will have to install a third-party browser to be able to browse the Internet. ... version of Windows that you are running, or if you need help verifying that you are an administrator, click here to ...
support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 - Cached - Similar
Have you actually tried the solution you propose? It doesn't work!
Didnt work for me... I also tried MS alternative solution which is pasting FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart" into the command prompt... got the blue screen after that one... still looking for another answer.
The problem is that you have already deleted some files causing an "incomplete" removal of I.E.8.0 I to have downgraded because I have thousands of dollars worth of recording programs that are incompatable with I.E. 8.0. I did what the others had mentioned and it worked just fine. I recommend getting on I.E. webpage and re-downloading I.E. 8.0 so that way all the files are there then follow the process that was mentioned earlier. Odds are you accidently deleted a file that is neccissary for both I.E. 7 and 8.0. I am close to positive that doing this will fix your problem. Let me know how it goes, good luck!
dave S > Benm1999
Dec 10, 2009 at 09:19 PM
The problem might be is the same as mine I did download IE8 an dunistalled it like you said and IE7 comes back just fine, But now I upgrades to windows 7 and now I can not get IE 7 to download or remove IE 8..

If anyone has ideas I would love to hear from you?

The problem is I love windows 7 so far but it will not work with my companys intaranet web site for some reason and they are working on a fix for this but in the mean time I have to drive into work to work on an old computer?

One option I guess is to buy an old xp computer?

I have already tried about 8 different browsers and have not yet found one that works yet?

Thanks for any help
Rohit > dave S
Feb 15, 2010 at 01:13 PM
Download ie7 from web.
On your computer go to the control panel and Select Programs and Features.
On the left pane click on" Turn Windows features on or off"
Remove the tick from ie8.
Shut down and restart
Install the ie7
MilMiller > Rohit
Feb 25, 2010 at 08:58 PM
What OS are you using. I am having the same issue with an XP machine. however I see "add/remove Programs" and not Programs and Features nor Turn Windows features on or off.
Disabling Internet Explorer and then installing IE (old Version) hasn't worked with XP