Hard Drive not detected

Closed
CheekyNandos Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2016 - Feb 27, 2016 at 05:42 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Mar 1, 2016 at 03:29 AM
i have just built my PC for the first time i was given a HDD (1TB) that was full of crap and i couldn't use the OS on it so i wiped that disk clean using Darik's boot and nuke 30 or so hours later it finished i have got windows 7 on a USB and went to install and the disk was not detected in the install menu, i use the start up repair i didnt finish the repair cause i dont want data to be restored (not sure if it does that or not) i digress i went back in and saw that the disk was visible when i selected the browse option i clicked on it and a popup appeared saying that i needed to check that it is connected properly and that it could be read only, did research and found out about using the command prompt to erase the read only part i did that and it was successful (i did disk and volume) i went in and it said the same thing so im at a loss here :( , i had a look and other solutions before thatbut none have work i have tried

Changing the SATA type (i have not tried raid)
changing it from SATA 1 to 2

im not great with tech but i mean this really shouldnt be happening im currently using start up repair again to see if that does anything, please help :)

Specs if they are important:
MSI 970 motherboard
AMD FX 6300
2x4 8GB Ripjaws x RAM
seagate barracuda 1tb HDD
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 29, 2016 at 03:06 AM
Hi CheekyNandos,

I recommend you to change the SATA ports and cables of the hard drive and try again. Check if the hard drive is visible in BIOS. You should not use RAID as connection type. I recommend you to restore BIOS to its default settings.
During Windows installation you will be given the chance to partition and format the hard drive. If everything is running normally you shouldn’t use formatting software. Are you sure that the drive is not using some kind of encryption? Let me know if there is any progress.

Hope this helps

Hey R2D2

I used a format tool called dariks boot and nuke, I believe that when I did wipe the hard drive I also wiped the drivers and firmware an over sight on my part, I will be able to reinstall the relevant drivers and firmware tomorrow

I appreciate the reply and I will keep you updated if the reinstall does not work
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Nandos
Mar 1, 2016 at 03:29 AM
Sadly, I am not experienced with these tools, but in general, you do not need drivers in the hard drive in order to be recognized by BIOS. It is like when you are buying a brand new hard drive, it is not initialized and not formatted but is recognized by BIOS. Change the hard drive SATA cables and the motherboard ports. If possible, it would be really helpful to try the drive on another PC. This way you will know if it is a hard drive issue or a motherboard/port problem.