Hard disk is not showing in my computer

Closed
Minal - Mar 2, 2016 at 10:02 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Mar 4, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Hi all, I have Toshiba 500 GB hard disk. I bought it 2 years back. My hard disk is not showing in my computer although it is visible in "safely remove". It is getting detected when I connect to PC. It makes usual sound when I connect it to PC. But it keeps getting disconnected and connected and sound follows frequently. Also it was showing white light before but now it's blue. Please help it contains important data. Thank you in advance.
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Mar 4, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Hello Minal,

Please, go to Disk management and check if the drive has a drive letter assigned to it. If the drive lost its letter, you have to manually assign it. Be careful - if it requires you to format the drive, don't do it. It will erase all of your data.
How do you connect the external HDD to your PC? Does the drive possess additional power supply or it uses the energy of the USB port? My advice is to check the USB cable also, because sometimes they get damaged too.
You could also try to connect the external HDD to different PC that you are using now with a different operating system. It might get recognized there.
Also, you could try a data recovery software or a Linux Live CD to extract the data.

Hope I gave you some ideas. Have a great weekend.