Laptop problem

Closed
RetypePassword Posts 1 Registration date Thursday March 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2016 - Mar 24, 2016 at 08:27 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Mar 24, 2016 at 09:33 AM
hello there! This is my very first question in this forum so i hope i wont recieve hate! ^^
When i press the power button only a black screen will show..then later on..u can hear the sound that is played when windows starts up..but i can only see a black screen..nothing else...

Thanks in advance! ^^
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Mar 24, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Hi RetypePassword,

Im not sure why you think you might "recieve hate!". We are quite friendly here really.

Your balck screen problem might be caused by a few things, but most likely, the backlight on your monitor has failed. You might be able to see the feignt signs that your desktop (and all the processes that happen before this normally shows) if you get it in the right light. If you shine a torch on the screen you can sometimes see this, but the angle does need to be right. If this is the case then a new screen is needed.

Another problem might be that the wire that commects the screen to the graphics card has become brittle and broken with the constant opening and closing of your laptop. this would need a new lead to be fitted. Usually (though not always) the screen can be made to come on by positioning it correctly (as in perhaps not fully open. This cause is often accompanied with a history of a flashing screen or wrong colours displayed before it fails completely.

The unusual third cause could be that the groaphics section of your machine has failed. This can be tested by wireing up an external monitor to the VGA port (or any other external video ports available) on your laptop. If the external monitor works, then it is likely that your graphics section is ok.

Please let me know how you get on.