WD Passport unable to open

Closed
Moony - Mar 27, 2016 at 10:14 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Apr 6, 2016 at 02:46 AM
Hi,

My WD Passport 1TB which works fine previously suddenly unable to be open... it shows Local Disk I: (which i had renamed previously to Ath3n3) and there is no green capacity bar below it.

I had tried to change cable and port but it still not working. device manager shows it working fine and i tried the command prompt solution but it not working too. in device manager shows tat it is RAW device.

the data inside is very important for me. please help.

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Mar 28, 2016 at 06:10 AM
Hi Moony,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your My Passport drive. If the drive appears as RAW, that means that the system cannot recognize the file format. Changing with another USB cable was a good idea. Check the drive on another PC. If the situation is the same, try booting from a Linux Live CD and try to access the drive. What Command Prompt commands have you tried? Try using chkdsk I: /r where I is the drive letter. Furthermore, check the Download section of this forum for some data recovery tools. Let me know if there is any progress!

Hope this helps

Hi,

Firstly thank you very much for your help. But now I have another problem is where my computer can't detect my WD Passport so i can't process on the chkdsk and also i'm not sure what recovery tools to download for this device. Any advice.

Thank you again for your time to help me.
Hi,

i managed to run the command prompt chkdsk but it stated my files are unreadable and i find it strange that in command prompt says my file type is NTFS while my disk management stated RAW... Any advice please
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Moony
Apr 5, 2016 at 04:14 AM
Hi again Moony,

Have you checked the hard drive on another PC and using Linux Live version? If Command Prompt recognizes the file format, there is a high chance that Linux will do it too. I recommend you to try it before using any recovery tools. I cannot recommend you any specific utility, but follow the link below. There are some popular suggestions.
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

Hope this helps
Hi,

I had tried it on another PC but it still not working... the Linux Live how do i go about using it? i need to download it? and how to make it usable from there? or do i need to backup it?

thanks for your helps...
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Moony
Apr 6, 2016 at 02:46 AM
The Live version of Linux can be freely downloaded. Just find an updated version. You need to create a bootable CD or a bootable USB and restart the PC. Go to BIOS and change the primary boot device, placing first the type of device you will use. Restart the PC again and plug the USB or place the CD. The PC should boot from it without installing the OS. Once everything is loaded, you will be able to operate. These versions are similar to Windows. Connect your My Passport and try to access it.
When you finish using the Live version, simply go to BIOS and put your hard drive as a primary storage device. Restart the PC and it will boot back to Windows, ignoring the Linux version in the pendrive.