External Hard drive not showing up

Closed
PC24Lisha - Mar 25, 2016 at 04:43 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Mar 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM
Hello,
My WD Elements hard drive was bought yesterday and when I took it home and plugged it to my laptop, the light comes on the there is a small vibration from it to signify the fan is spinning, but its not showing up anywhere. I tried disk management and device manager, but its not there either. What can I do????

Related:

2 responses

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Mar 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Hey there, PC24Lisha.

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your drive. Have you had any issues with your computer and other external drives before? Can you see the drive in your BIOS/UEFI?

I'd recommend that you try the drive with a different computer and a different USB cables, to see if the same thing happens. Try it out with different USB ports on your computer as well. If there's still no change, download DLG (Data Lifeguard) to see if it recognizes the drive and run both tests (Quick and Extended) to see what results you'll get. Here's how to do that: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=5B6QEk

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hi Boogieman_WD

I did everything that you suggested, but still, up to this point in time, the hard drive hasn't shown up on any PC. Is it that the product line has a problem? And what can I do? Get a refund and purchase another brand of hard drive? I really need one that works!
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Mar 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM
What were the results of the DLG tests? Is it recognized by a different computer or by the BIOS?

Basically what you can do if the drive is faulty, is to create an RMA case via our Support Portal: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Bcacmf
If you've got the drive from a re-seller you might want to get in touch with them and ask if you can get it replaced or if you can get a refund, but I guess this is up to them.

As for the WD Elements drives, I'm really sorry that you're going through those issues with your HDD. I understand it's really unfortunate, but there's no problem with that drive model's line. Unfortunately sometimes it might be pure bad luck and you might get a faulty device (as it is possible with all mechanical and electronic devices).

Please keep me updated.