HDD is not showing and it's empty

Closed
Wawii - Apr 3, 2016 at 01:28 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Apr 8, 2016 at 06:30 AM
Hello,

i am having problems with my transcend 500gb external hard disk drive.

First, it's not showing in My Computer. i tried to uninstall the device, but when i plug it in, it still recognize as an old device and it doesn't install as a new device.

Secondly, when i open up the disk management, the hard disk is showing as unallocated and unknown. and then a pop up message came up saying that i need to initialize the disk (MBR or GPT) thingy but i didnt do it, afraid that i might lose everything in the hard disk.

Thirdly, I tried one solution using the Minitool Partition Wizard. (followed the steps here: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/288692-disk-1-unknown-not-initialized-unallocated.html#post2386144) and i found out that, i don't have any partition for my hard disk and it's empty. its impossible though for it to be empty since i know the last time i checked, its almost full.

need a huge help for this problem! Thanks!
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Apr 4, 2016 at 09:21 AM
Hey there, Wawii.

So I guess it's safe to assume that this is a USB drive? If so, go ahead and try it out with a different USB cables and a different computer, to see if the same thing happens.

Having in mind you do need to recover data, you could try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is basically a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux), to see if the drive is properly recognized and if you can get to your files and recover them. If that doesn't work, perhaps you should give a go to data recovery software. And last, but not least, if your data is really important, you could go for a data recovery company.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Hi Boogieman_WD,

Yeap, its a USB drive. the cable is Sata, i did try using different USB cable and connect it to MacBook, but it still doesnt recognize.
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37 > Wawii
Apr 8, 2016 at 06:30 AM
I see. Earlier you spoke of My Computer and Disk Management, so I assumed you were using it with a Windows computer. What's the file system of the drive? Did you use Windows or Mac OSX to format the drive in the first place. Basically if you've formatted it via your Mac with HFS+, this is a file system which is not natively supported by Windows and this could be the reason for your trouble. On the other hand if the drive does not even show up when connected to either of those computers, it makes me think that there's something wrong with it specifically and not the cable. You might have to try data recovery software or a data recovery company in order to be able to get your data back.