Dell inspiron m5010 15r 7 beeps and the black screen

Closed
DIMZ - Apr 17, 2016 at 07:02 PM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Apr 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Hello, my dell inspiron m5010 has gotten the dreaded 7 beeps and the black screen not even a back light. through my searching i have completed the re-flow of the GPU and the south bridge by use of a heat gun and a infrared thermometer and used antec formula 7 nano diamond thermal compound, re-seated the CPU (no damage on the chip sets that i can see). The first start up after the re-flow and i got 2 beeps.... forgot the ram cards lol. After installing the ram, power on w/o battery no beeps hdd starts its cycle cooling fan starts to run but nothing on the screen still not even a back light, also laptop does not recognize the battery so i get the blinking battery light when its plugged in but with out the battery only the far left power light and the light under the power button stay on. Now i bought this computer off ebay as a project to fix and use as a personal computer. I havent found much info for this particular case so the next thing im going to try is to take the screen apart and look for a bad cable or a connector.
I have found extremely useful information on this thread and many others for many different projects so i am grateful for any and all info anyone has.
thank you.

Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Apr 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Hello DIMZ,

In situations like this it's recommended connecting the laptop to an external monitor to see will there be any video signal going out from the laptop. If it does go out, then there's a need for LCD inverter replacement. If there's nothing showing either on external monitor nor display, but the fans are still working, the problem that you have may be due to the failure of the video chip. Since you said that have already done the thermic paste replacement then I assume that the problem is within the processor because the 7 beeps mean that the CPU has failed.
Probably, the best option is to bring your laptop to a PC company in order to make additional tests.

Good luck with that.