-
Registration date
Monday May 2, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 2, 2016
-
Hello,
I have a TOSHIBA satellite p850 running on windows 8.

Three days ago, my laptop suddenly shuts itself down without any warning notice, just a click sound.

When i tried to turn it on again, it shows the toshiba logo for 10sec and shuts downs again. In some occasions it gets into the login page, after i entered the password and few seconds during desktop startup, it shuts down again.

Then, i refreshed my windows and the problem was gone, or so i thought. The problem came back that night, i suspected overheating and i opened the fan and cleaned the heatsink, but problem still persist.

i suspected the battery or AC power adapter is causing the problem (because my battery is in a bad health, and my AC power adapter is charging poorly as well). I tried turning it on with just battery attached, still shuts down itself. I tried turning it on with just AC power adapter plugged in, still shuts down itself.

I tried starting in safe mode it still shuts down. I tried hard reset, does not fix it. i tried manually shut down the laptop using shutdown /s /t 0, no avail.

I looked online, some say it could be motherboard problem but if it really is, can i even reach the desktop startup? It feels like software problem to me because it can stay at the login page for quite some time without shutting down (if i dont enter the password).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my dissertation is due in 8 days!

4 replies

Registration date
Sunday May 1, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 5, 2016
Did you put thermal laste back under heat sink
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Sunday May 1, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 5, 2016
Sounds like processor or overheating. When you log in. Your processor starts working hard and needs to be cooled down. If it is failing or overheating. It will shut off. When you turn your computer on can you hear your fan working. It may need a good cleaning. Heatsink may need some new thermal paste or the cpu may need changing
Registration date
Monday May 2, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 2, 2016

i dont think i would've removed the thermal paste, i just cleaned the fan and removed the dust from the sides of the heat sink, i just used hwmonitor and all four cores temperature are just 40 degree celcius.
Registration date
Sunday May 1, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 5, 2016
Whats the temperature just before it shuts down
Registration date
Monday May 2, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 2, 2016

I sad to say i dont have that piece of info because i've been trying to reach the desktop page for 2 hours but it just keep power off so i did not know whats the temp, but now its working normally for an hour without shutting down
Registration date
Sunday May 1, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 5, 2016
Well thats awesome man.
Registration date
Monday May 2, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 2, 2016

Well thanks for your suggestion, but im still unconvinced that my thermal paste is just working fine now after 2 hours of instant power off
Registration date
Sunday May 1, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 5, 2016
It only takes seconds. If you didnt put thermal paste back on heat sink then it is not making contact with cpu.
Registration date
Sunday May 1, 2016
Status
Last seen
May 5, 2016
If you cleaned the heat sink and fan and didnt reapply thermal paste. Than that is definitely the problem.
Blocked Profile
Agreed, the damage is done!