Issue on initial boot of a new system

Closed
Aj Cherup - May 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - May 19, 2016 at 06:24 AM
So I recently went to upgrade some parts in my build and decided to go with some more expensive components than I did the previous time. I upgrade my motherboard to an Asus Z170 sabertooth S (the arctic camo one) with an i7 6700k. For ram I went with 2 8GB corsair dominator platinum sticks at 3000mhz. The board is indicating to me now that it's a ram issue however, I was able to successfully get the computer to show an image one time off of one of the single 8 gig sticks. Haven't been able to get it to even show anything on the screen let alone go into post or anything since that one try, have yet to even see the bios. The board is indicating that the dram is the issue by LED on the board but I don't seem to understand why exactly that is the problem if I was able to successfully get the computer to sense it one time. I'm relatively new to the pc building scene so if you can explain whats happening in relatively beginner friendly terms that would be great.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 18, 2016 at 05:25 AM
Hi Aj Cherup,

Firstly, I would like to tell you that the build looks really nice. I hope it will serve you well once it is done.
Could you tell the model of your RAM memory? I see that the motherboard supports DDR4 2400/2133 MHz. RAM. Please check if the frequencies match. What video card are going to use? Do you think that the PSU is capable to run all the components?

Hope this helps

I do not believe RAM compatibility is the issue. According to the QVL for the board it says that a 4X8GB kit of RAM is compatible with the board using the same sticks of RAM that I am currently using however I am only currently running a 2X8GB setup. The part number for the one on the QVL list is (CMD32GX4M4B3000C15) and my part number is (CMD16GX4M2B3000C15). They are all 8gb sticks with a 3000mhz speed.
As for power supply, I'm running an 850W modular PSU from Corsair so I should have plenty of power. For the time I'm reusing my 970 however would like to upgrade to the new 1070 or 1080 when they release.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Aj Cherup
May 19, 2016 at 06:24 AM
Well, I haven’t used that motherboard yet so I am using information from different web pages including the official one. That is where it says 2400/2133 MHz. I have checked some similar cases where guys consider using this board with a 3000MHz memory as overclocking. If you managed to get an image once, try resetting BIOS by removing the CMOS battery of the motherboard for a few seconds. Place it back and try again. If I were you, I would defiantly try with another RAM. You can either confirm the problem or discard it.