External hard drive

Closed
quinnstar Posts 1 Registration date Thursday August 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 11, 2016 - Aug 11, 2016 at 10:32 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Aug 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM
hello,
I have a seagate 1 TB external hard drive which I backed up my whole pc files to as windows 10 has crashed again after install updates. I removed it from pc before doing a uninstall and restore of the 10 again. I used a usb key to restore my pc iso which installed ok back to 10, . I removed that flash key and turned off my pc but the next day when to re install my programs and files back on to my pc from seagate but it would not recongize it on my pc the drive was still reading the usb key I used to do the install of iso from, seagate external drive did not show on my pc. Have I lost all my programs and documents on this hard drive, can anyone help as i have all my inportant documents saved on it, this has never happened before, would this drive now be recoverable or is it corrupt.
Many thanks desperate
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Aug 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Hello quinnstar,

I think, there is a chance that the files can be recovered from the external drive. One option is go through the Linux Live CD/USB, another is to use a data recovery program. Over the Internet, there are many programs which could help you to do so. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try and and not on install the OS.

Hope that I gave you an idea.