External hard drive shows as local disk, not removable storage

Closed
radioheadcd Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 15, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2015 - Updated on Jan 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - May 9, 2016 at 05:44 AM
Hello,

I desperately need some help here. I am having a problem with my 1TB Toshiba hard drive. I had it nearly half filled with files and now I have lost them. From what I have read, I am certain I should be able to recover them, but have had no luck. Here is the pertinent information as to where the problem lies. I ran Hitman Pro to take care of a virus on my laptop. I had the drive plugged in as Drive H. While Hitman was running, the external drive was disconnected. When I contacted Hitman support, they suggested the files were likely recoverable. I downloaded EaseUS data recovery to see if the files could be found. The program ran for a very long time with almost no progress being shown. However, before I disconnected the drive, it did show that some of drive H had been found. Unfortunately, this program was deleted and I downloaded Advanced Disk Recovery. It is not able to do anything as my external hard drive is now showing up as H, but under local disk rather than removable storage. The program only recognizes c as local disk. What can I do to recover my files and return the external disk to showing as removable storage on the laptop? I am afraid EaseUS may have started to find something and changed the partition which is why this program cannot find it now. Thanks.

PS Drive has been formatted since all of this, but not used in any other way since the initial problem. That is why I am confident the files should be recoverable (at least most of them).

System Configuration: Windows 7 / Mozilla 11.0
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 15, 2015 at 03:08 AM
Hi radioheadcd,

In general, if you format a drive but do not use it afterwards, there is a good chance to get your data back. In order to restore drive's original state in Disk Management, I recommend you to enter Device Manager and uninstall the drive. It should appear under USB devices. Restart the PC, plug the drive back in and wait for the OS to install the drivers. If the drive keeps being recognized as an internal drive, enter Disk Management and right click it. Remove its drive letter. Eject the drive and reconnect it. Any change?

Hope this helps

radioheadcd Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 15, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2015
Sep 16, 2015 at 01:55 AM
When I removed the drive letter, ejected and reconnected the drive, it no longer showed up at all. I went back in and reassigned a letter and it still shows in local disk. I have tried several recovery programs and seem to be getting similar results. Currently, I am trying Recuva. When I run the scan, it quickly shows 0% complete with 282 files found. However, the status bar says calculating time for scan and nothing further happens--the bar doesn't move. I know a deep scan can take a while, but I have let it sit for an hour and nothing changes from that initial point of 282 files found. The drive is 1Tb and it was about half full. Any more suggestions on how I can get my data back? Thanks.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > radioheadcd Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 15, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2015
Sep 16, 2015 at 03:38 AM
Do you have the option to check the drive on another PC? I strongly recommend you to do so and check the results. Sadly, those scans can take up hours for a 1 TB drive. The best solution may be to leave the recovery process for one night. I believe you are using some of the most popular recovery tools. If I think of something else, I will let you know. I had a similar case, where the external drive appeared as internal and all was solved updating BIOS.
I am also having a same problem and no the removing of drive letter is not helping
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > niks
May 9, 2016 at 05:44 AM
Hi Niks,

Could you tell me a little bit more about the issue? The external hard drive appears as internal? Please check the drive on another PC and with another cable. Search for the drive in Device Manager and uninstall it. Restart the PC and plug the drive back in. The OS should reinstall the drivers. Any changes? Do you have important data on the drive? If you can, please attach a screenshot from Disk Management.

Hope this helps