Complicated Hard disk issue

Closed
help me please - Aug 15, 2016 at 08:42 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 16, 2016 at 03:21 AM
Hello! I own a seagate backup slim drive. Since a few months ago, when I plug it into my macbook and open it, no files are shown (I had tons of files inside). However, it says that 230 gb of space is being used. The drive is in NTFS format,

I have tried the following but to not avail (after several calls to seagate's help line):
- Installing Paragon NTFS
- The command that shows hidden files
- Plugging it into a windows computer

I'm so sad bc I need to access these files to do some of my projects. Also I'm so hopeless with this sort of technology thing. Please can anybody help me? Thank you so much!!!
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Aug 15, 2016 at 09:45 PM
Did you try using a Windows PC to access the drive?
help me please
Aug 15, 2016 at 09:56 PM
Hi, I used Windows 7, it said that it was unable to access the drive because the drive is in the wrong format ):
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 16, 2016 at 03:21 AM
Hi Help me please,

Try connecting the drive to a Windows PC and go to Disk Management. Check the drive’s format. Is it still NTFS or it appears as RAW?
If it says RAW, that means that Windows cannot identify the drive’s file format. I would recommend you to test the drive on a Linux PC or download a data recovery tool and try to save your most important data. If you manage to do so, format the drive, putting it in exFat, which can be used on both Mac and Windows.
Check the link below for some data recovery software suggestions:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

Hope this helps