WD Passport Ultra external hard disk error code 10

Closed
vundaber - Aug 17, 2016 at 04:47 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 30, 2016 at 08:37 AM
Please I have Werstern Digital My Passport Ultra external hard disk with P/N:WDBZFP0010BBK and S/N:WX51A3492831. Last 2 days, I was trying to use it and back-up some of my files but along the line,the laptop was hanging/freezing so I had to forcefully pull out the WD external hard disk. I tried connecting it to the laptop again but it couldn’t show on the PC. I tried checking it from control panel but the message I keep getting is “This device cannot start” and “Error Code 10”. I have tried connecting the hard disk to windows XP,7,8 and 8.1 but I keep getting the same error message. I have also downloaded and installed WD WES driver set up and also the utilities but they didn’t help. The utilities can’t even recognize the hard disk.
Please can you help me with directions on how to fix the WD hard disk. I have so many important files on it. I will gladly appreciate any help from you. Thanks.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 29, 2016 at 03:21 AM
Hi Vundaber,

I am sorry for answering you a bit late. Have you found a solution to this issue? Unfortunately, sudden drive removal may cause connectivity issues. Could you tell me if the drive is recognized in Disk Management? Does it have a correct file format and a drive letter? Go back to Device Manager and uninstall the Serial Bus Controllers. Sometimes this method resolves the Error code 10 message.
Trying the drive on different computers was a really good decision. Since you have important data stored on the drive, I would recommend you to try to save some information using a Data Recovery tool. Check the link below for some suggestions:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

If the files are really important, I would recommend you to contact a Data Recovery Company. If you manage to save your data, format the drive and check it with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to confirm its condition. I leave you a link with some instructions:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Ara0pi

Please hide the serial number of the drive, because it contains important information about the drive and the warranty.

Hope this helps

No the drive is not recognized in Disk Management and has no drive letter.When i try to access it from control panel through "devices and printers",it will show there but with a yellow sign showing driver error.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > vundaber
Aug 30, 2016 at 08:37 AM
I would suggest you to try connecting the drive to a Linux PC. If you do not have access to such a PC, download a Linux Live version. Create a bootable flash drive and boot from it. No installation is required. Connect the drive and check if it is going to be recognized. There is a chance to see the drive, because sometimes Unix based systems respond better when it comes to drives with connectivity issues.