Laptop won't boot on the first try

Closed
Dudu - Oct 25, 2016 at 02:01 PM
 Dudu - Oct 26, 2016 at 01:56 AM
Hello,
I am having this problem from quite some time. When I press the power button on my laptop, it lights up for half a second then instantly shuts down. This problem persists for 5 or 10 minutes, then it finally boots. I replaced the BIOS battery but it still doesn't work. Someone told me that the HDD may be the problem, but it doesn't start even without it. My laptop is an ASUS K52JC, 4GB RAM, Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core P6000 Processor, NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM and 500 GB HDD.
PS: It doesn't work only with the charger plugged in.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,825
Oct 25, 2016 at 05:43 PM
If it only has this problem only when using the charger. Then it's either a problem with the charger or the power circuit connected to the charger. It it's the later thne it's probably on the motherboard and can't be repaired.

Good Luck
Thanks for your reply. The charger is not the original one and I just noticed something. When the laptop fails to start and it shuts down, the led on the charger flickers.
Blocked Profile
Oct 26, 2016 at 12:15 AM
1. Check the power supply

This is one of the most common problems. There are various things that can go wrong, from using the wrong laptop power supply (delivering the wrong voltate) to a blown fuse in the plug. It might be that your power supply has simply failed. First, make sure the battery has some charge. If you’re not sure, and there’s no power indicator on the battery itself, then remove it entirely and just use the mains charger.

Double-check, too, that the charger is the right one for your laptop. Many laptops – especially from the same manufacturer – use the same size plug, and if you own more than one, it’s not too difficult to plug in the wrong power supply, which might provide a different voltage or not enough current. Other gadgets may also use the same tips, such as a battery powered speaker, and are unlikely to use the same voltage as your laptop, which typically requires 16-20V.

Check over the wire itself, as power supplies get beaten up, especially if you carry them everywhere. Weak points are at the ends where it joins the black brick and at the plug which connects to the laptop. If you can see the coloured wires inside the black outer protection, it could be time to buy a new PSU.

2. Check the screen

Try disconnecting any external displays including projectors and monitors to make sure they're not stopping your laptop from booting into Windows.

If your computer's power LED lights up and you can hear the hard disk or fan(s) whirring, but there’s no image on the screen, then make the room dark and check that there isn’t a very faint image on the screen. It’s easy to think a laptop isn’t booting when in fact, it’s the screen that’s the problem.

3. Remove any USB drives or memory cards
Thanks for your reply. The charger is not the original one and right now, I do not have another one to check if that is the problem. There aren't any USB drives or memory cards connected and the power led just lights up for a moment then shuts down. And by the way, I just noticed that when the power led shuts down and the laptop fails to boot, the led on the charger flickers.