Laptop Toshiba Satelite Pro L650 stuck on "Leading Innovation"

Closed
Costi - Nov 11, 2016 at 05:09 AM
CostelinoN Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2016 - Nov 14, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Hello anyone,
My Laptop Toshiba Satelite Pro L650 left on hibernate over night then would not boot. It was showing just black screen then, after removing battery and restarting with only power cord in, the screen displays the "TOSHIBA Leading Innovation" logo with "Press F2 go to Setup Utility, F12 go to Boot Manager" at the bottom. Neither of these keys is doing nothing though.
Tried with OS DVD in the DVD drive, with/without HD in, with memory simms out then back in (to make sure contact is OK)... nothing works.
If I could just get to the setup screen (BIOS) or the boot menu, I can take it from there...

If anyone got a suggestion, I would be much obliged !
Thanks

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 14, 2016 at 06:07 AM
Hi Costi,

You have done good job trying to troubleshoot the problem. It seems like the BIOS is stuck or there is a hardware issue with your laptop. You should try resetting BIOS. Since you are not able to open the BIOS menu, this can be a bit hard. Check the laptop’s manual for access to some recovery menu. I would contact the manufacturer’s support and ask for guidance. Unfortunately there is not much to do when BIOS is not responding.

Hope this helps

CostelinoN Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2016
Nov 14, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Thanks R2D2_WD.
Turned out the CMOS battery was discharged. So if anyone has the desire to try and replace it... DON'T !!!
I did and... ended up without keyboard and touch-pad on laptop (in other words I done myself out of few hundred $$$). The battery is said to be located under the keyboard but... at least on a Toshiba, getting under the keyboard proved to be above my abilities due to two ribbon cables that are very fragile and, at the first hint of pulling came out of the sockets then... trying to put them back (after discovering there is no battery to be found) proved that the sockets themselves were not made to be opened...in the final both got damaged so now am using an external keyboard and mouse !!!
Found out, after leaving the whole lot plugged in over night, that in the morning it went past the "blocking point" and... is been working since.
So, my advice, learned the very hard way: plug the charger in and leave it for at least 12 hours then try again !
And DO NOT TRY getting to the "CMOS battery"... chances are you will either not find one, or it is welded to the motherboard or...you might damage the ribbon cables sockets on the mother board.
Hope this might save someone some grief !!!
Good luck to all !