Folder showing as file

Closed
kat - Dec 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Dec 7, 2016 at 03:27 AM
Hello,

A folder in my USB is only being recognised as a single file and wont open to access files within.
When trying to open it, it pops up with the choice of which software to use to open it.
Any ideas as to why or how to fix it?!
thanks!

Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Dec 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Hello kat,

It's a strange thing that has happened to your USB. Have you tried to scan it against viruses? If not, I think you should do so. Besides the antivirus and antimalware software, you can also check the USB drive for errors.
Open the Command prompt and type the following command:
chkdsk X: /r
Then press Enter. One important thing! You must replace the letter X with the one which has been given to your pen drive by the PC.

Let me know if that helped. Cheers.
Hi again,

I have previously tried scanning for viruses and just tried your advice, both to no avail

Rgds
Kat
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > kat
Dec 7, 2016 at 03:27 AM
Hello again,

Have you tried using some data recovery programs? If not, please try to search for them in the Internet.
If they don't help you, then you could try to access the data using Linux Live USB / CD. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try option and not on the option to install the OS.

Good luck.