Sound not working on all media plays through hdmi

Closed
drewdude Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 2, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2016 - Dec 2, 2016 at 04:32 PM
 Blocked Profile - Dec 2, 2016 at 08:30 PM
Hello,

I use my laptop plugged in to the tv so that I can stream tv shows and play videos via VLC or windows media player.

It's been working really well for quite awhile until now... for some reason, sound from the computer or web browser plays no problem on the tv, however, sound from both the new windows media player and vlc will not play. I tried disconnecting the computer from the tv, and the audio works perfectly on all computer apps (including media players), but when plugged back into the tv the same thing happens... what could this be?

Related:

1 response

Ok, this is tough, but HDMI is NOT a standard.

What does that mean? Lets see what WIKIPEDIA says about it:
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a proprietary audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from an HDMI-compliant source device, such as a display controller....blah blah blah blah....

Notice the word PROPRIETARY. That means that NOT all HDMI devices have to play with each other!

Is your hardware connected to the internet? Did it just complete an upgrade? More than likely, an upgrade "broke" your "solution".

You can always try to hook your device up to the TV BEFORE powering it on, making certain the device is supplying a signal. Then that should see that. Put normally (as from a standard point), when you just plug a device into a TV, and expect the TV to "Discover" it, it doesn't have to!
It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney