Hard disk is not detected

Closed
jjj - Dec 17, 2016 at 09:53 AM
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 - Jan 12, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Hello,

my external hard disk was not detected since a week ago. it was doing just fine before and the hard disk is still detected and functioning properly with other laptop. why does this happen? btw, I've used all ports and nothing happen
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 19, 2016 at 02:55 AM
Hi JJJ,

It was a good idea to test the external on another PC. If it is working fine, I recommend you to open Device Manager and search for the drive under USB devices. Uninstall the drive, restart the PC and plug the drive back in. Windows should reinstall the drivers automatically. Try to access the drive. If it is not possible, open Disk Management and check if the drive is correctly recognized. You may need to manually assign a drive letter.

Hope this helps

i had tried but it is not working. other alternatives??
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > jjjj
Jan 9, 2017 at 06:47 AM
So, the drive is not listed in Disk Management? In that case, run the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type the following command:
Diskpart
List disk

Check if the drive is listed there and if it has a correct file format. If the drive is working fine on other PCs, use the opportunity and backup all important data. Open the motherboard manufacturer’s web page and download the updated USB drivers. Install them, restart the PC and connect the drive.
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jan 12, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Hello JJJ,

Have you checked your hard drive in other systems; if not, then check it into another system to find whether it becomes visible there or not.

If the hard drive is visible in other systems, and not appearing only on your PC, then it might be possible that the drive is not enabled in BIOS setting. You need to check whether the hard drive is enabled correctly in BIOS setting or not. You can visit this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eULEtVZkGDc tutorial to check the BIOS settings.