Sound stopped working suddenly
Solved/Closed
ashneedshelp
Posts
2
Registration date
Thursday 12 January 2017
Status
Member
Last seen
7 February 2017
-
12 Jan 2017 à 21:42
ashneedshelp Posts 2 Registration date Thursday 12 January 2017 Status Member Last seen 7 February 2017 - 7 Feb 2017 à 11:21
ashneedshelp Posts 2 Registration date Thursday 12 January 2017 Status Member Last seen 7 February 2017 - 7 Feb 2017 à 11:21
Related:
- Kb3199986
- Startup sound changer - Download - Customization
- Store installer has stopped working - Guide
- Iw3mp.exe has stopped working - Guide
- Sound card color code - Guide
- Time of day clock stopped ✓ - Hardware Forum
1 response
Borius
Posts
3
Registration date
Monday 23 January 2017
Status
Member
Last seen
6 February 2017
23 Jan 2017 à 07:22
23 Jan 2017 à 07:22
Hi! Do you hear sound through the headphones?
7 Feb 2017 à 11:21
I did get it solved!!
For anyone else that may have this problem, here's what I found out:
As it turns out, it was directly caused by Windows 10 and automatic updates.
Under Device Manager, both sound devices were noted to "require further installation" under the 'events' tab. When re-stalling the sound devices, they still didn't work. I had to reinstall Windows 10. This time I set my network as a metered connection to inhibit auto updates.
(How to set a metered connection: https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/
Once metered I investigated each update that was requesting to be installed and learned that 'Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3199986)' caused a number of issues including audio bugs. I installed the others without issue, but did not install the one with the bugs. If you do not have your system set for metered connection, Microsoft will force updates and it can be a difficult issue to diagnose.
Reference: https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-kb3199986-bugs/
I really hope this helps other people. It took many attempts and few days to get this straightened out!