HP EliteBook 9720m won't boot after the BIOS failed.

Closed
Darkw1sh Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday February 14, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2017 - Feb 14, 2017 at 06:48 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Feb 20, 2017 at 06:54 AM
Let me first start by saying The biggest thank you to all the techies on this site for their support! I have found many solutions on ccm and have not had to post. (Search function is amazing lol)

Alright, so where am I at that I am literally on my knees begging for your help.

My HP elitebook folio 9720m, Windows 7 enterprise 64bit (used mostly for work, and memes, but mostly memes), was acting up a little bit. HP (the marvelous people there, sarcasm) told me to install a utility, the utility told me to update bios, I hate updating bios, I have done it without any problems before but I do not like doing it! I called hp told them I don't want to update bios, they told me it would fix my issue. Ugh fast forward, we'll my bios isn't updated instead I get a black screen and the light code for incorrect instalation followed by corrupt bios if I try to win+b it.

What have I done:
Thrown the laptop against a wall, not checked off the list yet but maybe soon.
Reset cmos
Popped out battery and hdd
Power + win+B
Attempted to boot into a USB drive with Windows 10 on it.

I am 3000 miles away from home and the only other computer near me is a mac (
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 15, 2017 at 04:16 AM
Hi Darkw1sh,

So you haven’t done BIOS backup before trying to update it? In general, updating BIOS may be tricky and sometimes may cause a lot of trouble. It really seems that the installation did not go so well. What was the problem that made you update your BIOS? Was it a performance issue or a startup problem?
What happens when you turn on the PC right now? Do you get some signal on screen or the PC is acting as if it is switched off?
You need to find a way to recover the PC from the failed BIOS update. It is possible, but it is very model dependent and I would advise you to contact the HP support once again and request a BIOS recovery troubleshooting steps and, if available, the BIOS booting files of the original BIOS used on your PC.

Hope this helps

Darkw1sh Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday February 14, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2017
Feb 17, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Contacted HP they were of no use. They continued to tell me to send it in. I was having and ME state thing on boot, and when the computer went to sleep it would not awake anymore.

The backup of the bios is saved onto the hard drive, but I am not sure where.

When the computer first turns on I get the caps lock and scroll lock to blink 2 times pause then again.

After that happens or when I press windows +B to start bios recovery the computers fans ramp up and the caps lock blinks, and it will blink for ages.

I think I am SOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Darkw1sh Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday February 14, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2017
Feb 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM
Anyone?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 20, 2017 at 06:54 AM
According to the HP codes, the Caps and Scroll Lock blinking two times indicates a BIOS corruption. Unfortunately, there is no information about the Caps blinking forever.
The BIOS problem may be solved by reinstalling the BIOS or trying to reset the old one. You have done the CMOS resetting. I would try getting a new CMOS battery just in case.