2TB My passport Not recognized

Closed
madmamma Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 28, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017 - Updated by Ambucias on 28/02/17 at 04:07 PM
Promomilia Posts 68 Registration date Monday February 6, 2017 Status Contributor Last seen May 19, 2017 - Mar 8, 2017 at 07:15 AM
My son's have been using a 2TB My passport portable drive with their xbox one. They have had it for approximately one month, and now suddenly it is not being recognized.
Hope you have a solution because there's a lot of games on there!
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 28, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Have you checked the USB cable if it's ok? Sometimes cables can be damaged.

Is it recognized by your computer ?

Hope this helps.
The cable is good, the light comes on when connected. I have a Mac it doesn't recognize it either. Tried the xbox360 and the Xbox one they use it on. Thought maybe I could format it on my computer but the computer is Mac and they need it for the Xbox one, they have several games stored on it.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 28, 2017 at 06:12 PM
Dear Mad Mother,

I suggest that the My Passport may have been damaged. WD community at https://community.wd.com/ or via customer service at https://support-en.wd.com for WD related questions.

The drive has a 2 year full warranty.

Good luck
Promomilia Posts 68 Registration date Monday February 6, 2017 Status Contributor Last seen May 19, 2017 12
Mar 8, 2017 at 07:15 AM
Have you tried the 2TB drive in another computer that has USB 3.0 ports? Does it work there? Or have you only tried it only connected your computer? If you only have access to your computer, do you have other USB devices plugged it? If so, disconnect all except your 2TB drive and see if it then behaves normally. If the 2TB drive works when it is the only USB device connected then you can be pretty sure it's a power problem.

USB voltage is 5 volts. That's the same for USB 1, 2, and 3. However, the total available USB output amperage differs from computer to computer.

USB 2.0 ports are supposed to supply 0.5 amps (same as 500 milliamps) of 5 volt current at each port. USB 3.0 ports are supposed to supply 0.9 amps (same as 900 milliamps) of 5 volt current. However, some computers just don't conform. However, some conform if you only draw power from one or two ports. So, you are dividing the amperage among several or all USB ports in your computer.

A WD 2TB drive requires at least 0.75 amps.

You can look at the USB Hubs in Windows' Device Manager but they often report erroneously. that your computer is supplying only 500ma per port. That is often entirely incorrect. It is practically meaningless.

If power is your problem, what can you do?

You can add a USB 3.0 hub that has an AC adapter to supply power to those devices connected to it. However, some devices don't like to operate on a hub and I don't know if WD My Passport drives like hubs. Data corruption is a consideration. I would check with WD first or just experiment on your own to see how your drive behaves on a hub for a few days. Pick a good brand name hub with good reviews. That hub has to "repeat" all the data bits passed through it as they go to and from your computer and drive. Timing is critical. Some's good and some's bad. Do some googling and look at reviews at places like NewEgg and Amazon.

Better than the hub idea is to add a USB 3.0 card to your computer if it has an available slot. If you buy a card, get one that has an extra power connector on it that lets you hook it to the main power supply. It could be that the motherboard of your computer won't supply enough power to inserted cards through the cards main pins. Cards with an extra power connector can provide more output power to the USB ports you are adding.

When they say a USB 3.0 device (like a WD HD) is backward compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1, they mean the data streams can be managed at all those speeds. They do not mean that it will slow down or use less power on a port that is insufficient for its needs.

Knowing so little about your situation, these are my best guesses. If I'm way off base, let me know. I'll try to think of something else.

If you find a solution will you come back and post? I believe these things help hundreds of people who land here through search engines.