Crash and wont restart unless I let it sit...

Closed
TNewell Posts 1 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 16, 2009 - May 16, 2009 at 05:26 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - May 24, 2009 at 09:39 AM
Hello,
So here is my problem, I am tooling around on the computer and all of a sudden it crashes. When I try to restart it will cycle through startup and when it get to the point to load windows it restarts again. So I let it sit for a while (half an hour to an hour) and restart it again. It boots up fine then about an hour later it crashes again and I have to go through that whole process again.

Everything in my computer is brand new (I installed a new motherboard, Video Card, processor, Power supply and memory about 2 months ago) except the hard drive which is only about a year old. How can I tell if the Hard Drive is going bad? I know you can download Diagnostics but I am unsure of what brand my HD is (I didn’t install this particular item father-in-law did) is there any where I can go on the computer to see what kind of brand of hard drive it is?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

4 responses

yuyuman Posts 9 Registration date Sunday February 24, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 1, 2009 2
May 17, 2009 at 06:25 AM
Hello.. did you update your pc recently? or instaled service pack 3? please check this
I have updated everything and downloaded all the drivers and installed them. I barrowed another hard drive today and plugged it in (Clean install) and it is still showing the same behaivor.... I was also thinging it might be overheating because i have to let it sit for a while before it restarts but all fan are working. I dont think it is the MB because i was told if you take out your memory sticks and turn the computer on, it will make a constant beeping if the motherboard is working and it did this. This problem has me stumped.
Also, it now requires to sit over night or longer to get it to boot all the way into the operating system! I have reseated everything and tested each memory stick by it self. It now freeze at what i believe is called the splash screen and i cant even get into the setup anymore until i have let it sit for a long time. Thanks again for all the help provided

Spec are:
Asus P5QL Pro motherboard
2 1gb Corsair memory sticks
Asus En8400GS Silent 512MB Video Card
Intel Pentium Duel-core 2.5 GHz processor
Thermaltake 550w Black widow power supply
Seagate 320G Hard drive
and Windows XP pro operating system
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
May 24, 2009 at 09:39 AM
you may try checking your processor cooling assy is correctly fitted and has the right amount of thermal paste, making contact in the right place.

go into your bios, check to see what the shutdown temprature is set at.

Check to see if, infact your cpu fan is operating correctly and not being obstructed.

Could be that your pc is getting too hot and shutting down.