There are plenty of situations when you may need to ask for a refund after having purchased a Google product on Google Play. Here is an insight into how to ask for a refund properly.
How to request a refund from your computer?
- In your browser, access the refund page. Review Google's refund policy and click Continue.
A dialog box will appear for you to confirm your account. If you see your email address, select Yes > Continue, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the refund request form.
If it's not the correct email address, click No and select the blue link saying Sign in to the right account.
Follow the refund submission process.
Google's refund decision will be sent to you within some business days. If a friend or family member purchased an item or app using your account, you can also request that the money spent be refunded.
How to request a refund from your mobile?
Depending on the product and the app's refund policy, you may end up in a situation where no refund is possible.
- Go to https://play.google.com on your mobile phone.
- Go to your account and go to your Order History.
- Select the order you want to ask for a refund in the refund section.
- Follow the submission process.
How to request a refund for irregular purchases?
If you notice that a purchase was charged to your card or another form of payment that was not performed by you or by a person you have authorized, you have 120 days to send the refund request.
Before making a report:
- Check if the charges are really from Google Play: the data that appear on the invoice has by default the following format: Google + app developer name, or app name or type of content (movies, music, books). If it does not contain this data and format, it means that it is not purchased from the Google store. In this case, it is best to first contact your bank to contest the charge.
- To contest improper purchases from Play Store, access the page Unauthorized Transactions on Google Play. Click the Continue button to confirm that it was not you or an authorized person who made the purchase. An interface lets you select the item to be refunded. Finally, click Submit. From there, follow the on-screen instructions.
What about Google Play refund policy for gift cards, prepaid promotional balance, and donations?
Gift certificates, Google Play promotional balances and cash recharges are generally non-refundable unless required by law.
How to follow up on refunds?
You can track your refund status on the Google Play account page. From here you can consult your order history as well as refunds:
- Open your Google Play account.
- Go to Account.
- Select Order History > Refund.
The time to receive the refund will depend on the payment method used in the purchase. See Google's refund forecast in the Google Play store.
What about refunds received after uninstalling a purchased app?
Depending on the paid application, if it is uninstalled soon after downloading or within the period set by the developer, the user receives a refund immediately. But beware, if the app is reinstalled it must be purchased again and may no longer be refundable.
For the full text of the Google App Store refund policies, please see Google Play's refund policy.