External hard drive

Closed
hardik - Updated on Sep 24, 2020 at 11:04 AM
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 - Sep 28, 2020 at 05:39 AM
Hello,

on disk 1 what ever i change only one massage shown that "the request could not performed because of I/O device error" please help

System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 85.0.4183.121
Related:

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14327 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen May 8, 2024 1,883
Updated on Sep 24, 2020 at 05:16 AM
Hi,

Check if your external hard drive's driver is up to date. Press the Windows + R keys, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

Expand the Disk drives category and right-click on the problematic hard drive. Choose Update driver > Search automatically for updated driver software.

If this doesn't work, open the File Explorer and right-click on This PC. Choose Manage and select Disk Management.

Right-click on your external hard drive and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click on Add. Next, select Assign the following drive letter and choose a new letter. Then click OK.

If this doesn't work, open the Start menu and search for Command Prompt (cmd). Right-click on it and choose Run as administrator.

In Command Prompt, type
chkdsk E: /f /r
. Replace the letter E by the letter of your external hard drive, then press Enter.

Good luck.
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 7
Updated on Sep 28, 2020 at 05:43 AM
Hi,

Start the laptop and then quickly press the Esc key followed by F10.

This should get you into the BIOS menus.

When there check if the BIOS has detected the HDD.

If the HDD is shown in BIOS I’m not sure with the BIOS in your laptop but once in there it should show which keys to operate to reset the BIOS to the default settings. Try doing that, save the changes and then restart the laptop and check if it boots OK.

Here’s an article that addresses this issue. Follow the steps given to fix this issue: https://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/boot-device-not-found.html