Ask a question Report

Ibook g4 password wont accept

Norway1 1Posts Saturday August 9, 2008Registration date August 9, 2008 Last seen - Latest answer on Jan 27, 2009 01:52AM
Hello,
My ibook was having some issues earlier today, freezing up, being unresponsive - the task bar at the bottom would not work, couldnt put anything in the trash bin, hugely reduced speed - a number of things. I held down the power button to force a restart because it would not restart on it's own, I was worried it was a virus or something.
When it booted back up, it requested my password, which it did not accept. I am fairly certain I know the password and have tried any number of iterations in place of it, to no success. I do not have a Mac OSX disc, as this computer was a hand-me-down, so that particular avenue seems unlikely.
Any thoughts? The only other time the computer has had any issues, a friend sequestered a bit of my HD off as a seperate...I dont know, but a portion of my computer is still available, albeit at greatly reduced functionality. I can check certain email accounts, there are things I cant access online, it's all very confusing. I'm mostly just worried about my files on the HD.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Read more 
Answer
+4
moins plus
Unfortunately A disk is need to probably fix you issue

Since you are a G4 you probably have Tiger 10.4 - 10.4.11 operating system while these disks are no longer sold new you can get them from the used market E-Bay and Amazon are 2 posable sources get the generic Tiger disk since all Power book disk sets do not work with all power books.

With the freezing up etc issues you may have a bigger issue with Battery ,power supply ,ram or hard drive that may be causing the loss of password.
All of the above items can be tested for
-power ( take battery out) try and start computer {note some power books will not start with battery out}
-Battery run on battery and see if it works for a while {close to what the meter at top right says}
-Ram remove ram or change ram to new slot and start computer does it go wonkie
- Hard Drive needs disk to check ( could use the norton 8 utility (for mac))
Add comment
This document entitled « ibook g4 password wont accept » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.