Ask a question Report

I can't open my Flash drive. [Solved/Closed]

ez - Latest answer on Feb 9, 2013 03:26PM
I can't open my flash drive. When I inserted it to my computer it would just appear a removable disk and then when I tried to open it tells that there is no disk on the dirve. Can this be fixed? what should I do to open it so that I can Use it again. Hope you can help me with this problem. thanks!
Read more 

moins plus
Hi there,
I experienced the same problem...
When it shows "Removable Disk"....i right clicked & hit Properties.......then filled in a Name in the Summary tab (my name)....i suddenly got a pop up & started working was some relief !!!
I am using Transcend JF V10 8 GB
Try it out....
All d Best

weird- May 2, 2010 04:19AM
when i hitted propeties, there is no 'summary'....what do i do
Tracert- May 6, 2010 05:51PM
A corrupted flash drive can be fixed using a free tool that recoverthe FAT table and boot record . This is a common thing. There are many Windows and DOS version of tools, even free. Those utilities can access internaly the USB and write the FAT and boot sector. Research the internet using the key : How to fix my USB.
ABC- Jun 6, 2010 12:28AM
I have an answer go to disk management and look for your pendrive and rename the letter
Luigi- Jun 20, 2010 03:58AM
thanks alot logun. really helped me. appreciate it.
Thanks.- Feb 9, 2013 03:26PM
Thank you so much. You are better than Dell techanical support :)
moins plus
Control Panel:
Administrative Tools:
Computer Management:
(Left Column) Storage:
Disk Management:

You should be able to see all hard drives, optical drives, and removable media.
Locate your USB and it should say "unallocated space"
Right-click on the box beside the drive with the black stripe saying the above and select create a new partition.
Follow the wizard and you're done!

moins plus
i have a kingstone 8 gb pendrive,i was buy just 2 months ago,today when my computer was hanged,i take pendrive without through removing programme.aftet that next time when it was connected in usb that is not open and its total size and free space are showing 0.plz tell me what can i do,its possible to acess and discuess about that problem.

moins plus
Ok I hope not to insult anyone on here but nobody seems to be reading the problem. This is beyond recovering data. Once the USB Flash drive or thumb drive however you want to call it, is put into the computer and you click on it you are told to insert media as though the drive is a cd drive. IF YOU GO TO DISK MANAGEMENT IT WILL NOT LET YOU FORMAT THE DRIVE BECAUSE IT THINKS THERE IS NO MEDIA IN IT. You can change the drive letter and that is all that happends the letter changes so you go from Removable Disk G to Removable disk F. You still can't use the drive. Plugging it into a Mac for me does nothing it won't show up at all not even using disk utility. Other programs don't see it as a drive except for the Data Recovery Wizard. The problem with Data Recovery Wizard is that it doesn't see any files to recover and it cant make this new 32gb datatraveler drive usable.

aztig- May 8, 2010 12:05PM
u can see that usb recognice but no media or disk
it means ur usb flash nand ic was damage
aztig- May 8, 2010 12:08PM
the sulotion was change the ic inside its like rectangular with 48 pins
top- May 10, 2010 06:51PM
hey guys i got a problem with my samsung yp-s2 when i open it it choose to open eith another program but i double clicked it and hit AUTOPLAY it worked! but it still as a folder icon anyone can help me with this?
ed- Jun 9, 2010 10:29PM
I agree with this part "This is beyond recovering data. Once the USB Flash drive or thumb drive however you want to call it, is put into the computer and you click on it you are told to insert media as though the drive is a cd drive. IF YOU GO TO DISK MANAGEMENT IT WILL NOT LET YOU FORMAT THE DRIVE BECAUSE IT THINKS THERE IS NO MEDIA IN IT."

In my case, I am using an R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS) MicroSD USB2.0 card. It shows all my backup games fine in my NintendoDS but when I pop the micro card into my USB slot, my computer does not recognize, it says "please insert a disk into removeable disk" - I do not want to wipe my card clean - I will look for better solution
vichu- Nov 26, 2012 05:10AM
just try online recovery jetflash
moins plus
hey we had this problem and we fixed last night how we did it was insert what u need before u boot the comp then go into the menu before login screen shows up youll find it there and run it we did that and every thing was fine but now we lost connection to our modem so make sure u have the knowledge to fix ur modem, tell me how u did it

trini stud- Dec 9, 2009 02:05AM
answer 11 solved my flash drive problem...i had to loose all d saved files but i did nt mind cause now i m able to utilise my flash drive again...thanks a lot bro.....
moins plus
It's easy to fix. Right click My computer > Management > Disk management > select your drive > right click "change drive letter and paths" then Rename it to a different letter and it should open right away. =)

DEEQ- Jun 12, 2010 12:42AM
still same , it doesnt work... any other suggestion plz ...
moins plus
Try this utility Control Panel/Computer Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management . I did have the same problem. I was able to bring back my flash drive. You will need to mount the drive after which youl need to create a partition. this will restore the header on your drive.

moins plus
My friend All I can Sudgest about your problem my comment of your problem simple just insert your flashdrive into your pc then go to run then type <cmd> and then if your flashdrive location asuming drive f:/ you just type c:/ format f:/ then press enter and choose yes? after that if the problem is the same? i think there was a problem into your hardware chipset of your flashdrive you need to replace a flash memory or else you need to buy new

from Technician of techead Sm Cebu

by Email ID removed for security

moins plus
try to download flash format and solve your problem easily by followng the instructions within the program

moins plus
had sme problem, thought gonna have to buy a new player. but occasionally i had to re-install windows, and on new system it reqested to reboot computer to show flash drive, and checdisk checked F:drive and fixed everything.
rty to run CHKDSK.EXE

moins plus
Hello friends,

i hv a 32 GB kingston flash drive, it can copy any type of data but whenever i copy from pen drive into my pc, it shows multiple empty folders in the same folder n audio-video files got currupted, softwares too. It shows changed name of the forlder in symbols like +-+-+-+-+-+-... Can anyone solve my problem plzzzz...

ashuein47- Dec 5, 2008 11:16AM
hello friend,

Just do one thing go to My computer>right click>manage>disk management

select the pen drive there separately and format...... check it again

if it doesnt works then again go to same location select your pen drive and opt for delete logical drive

then again right click to form a new partition or logical drive..... select form a new logical drive and again format it completely..

Note: dont opt for quick format,,, let it format completely.

hope this solves your problem,.....
sanju- Jul 7, 2009 10:32PM
my pen drive is not formated
my pen drive space is 1GB
on viewd Space is 324GB
please fix this problem
Mike- Jan 24, 2009 11:43PM
I got a 8gb kingston drive too!
I got the same problem as you do!
Did you got any chance that you solve that, plz help

I can save any files into the drive but when I go to another pc it opens up an empty folder and all my rar file got all
corrupted and unusable and all of my documents got all erased!!

what's happening you gotta help me plz I need to use my flash drive fast

In where I'm in flash drives are very expensive so I want to but one but I can't you see I short on the dough sry!

If you don't know you can just tell me where else you find help!

ThanQ very much! ALL the best to everyone
fightflashfraud- Feb 21, 2009 01:19PM
Seems like you have a fake flash drive there - there are a lot of them around. You'll find information about this issue on my fightflashfraud blog on wordpress. There is a free program you can download to test flash drives called h2testw which will give you a report showing the real capacity of the drive, which is probably a lot less than is shown in the properties window - probably only 4GB
moins plus
Hey all,
I've searched and searched without luck on this topic, but I have similar troubles.
My 1GB flash drive asks for media to be inserted when I try to open it, seems to think it's a bloody DVD/CD rom or something, when I go to disk management I can't do jack (format or re-partition the damn thing) it see's it as a DVD/CD rom in there as well? Get the same prob on all pc's that I plug it into. I've tried the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, which has been recommended on numerous sites only to be told again that there is no media inserted. I think it's had it's day, what ya's reckon?

Thabo- Jun 2, 2009 05:43PM
Control Panel/Computer Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management This utility will help. Just play around, I hope you shall come right. If not then your drive could have an electronic fault.
moins plus
Ever since the development of the 1.44 floppy it has never been a good idea to work directly on a storage device except a hard drive. You can lose all of your data if you print or work on the device. From now on copy your work to the desktop to work on it or print and then save it back to the device if you made changes.

moins plus
you can right click on the icon of your drive and re-format it if you don't have anything important on it. Odds are that it might have gotten removed while data was still being sent and it might have corrupted the software.

Vishal HSP- Jun 18, 2010 07:13PM
if you are having a transend flash drive
go to
select the product >flash drive> select >flash online recovery tool> and proceed with your repair
it repaired my pen drive
moins plus
reformat your drive then scan w/ avira or nod 32 but make sure to back up your file
this will work promise

moins plus
why can't I read the files on my memory stick?

moins plus
I had a similar problem before. If we're talking about the same virus, I fixed bypassed it by just typing the drive's path in the address bar, or right-clicking and choosing explore. But by the looks of it you're talking about something else.

But now I have another problem, my new USB stick/mp3 player has this new system wherein in creates a new drive space in MyComputer, and I can't use the method earlier to fix this because I don't know the name of the path. Has anyone experienced this?

moins plus
I've actually had this problem on two separate occasions with what seemed to be the same issue. However, one was recoverable, the other wasn't. To find out if it's recoverable, download & install the trial version of an application called 'Data Recovery Wizard v4.3.6'. Run the wizard & click 'Complete Recovery', if it sees your flash drive then you are in luck. However, the trial version won't complete the recovery until you buy the Pro version. At this point do a web search for a similar free product until you find one that will recover it. Or you can spend the money for the Pro version. This was the only product that actually worked for me though. Good luck.

auto78900 2Posts Thursday April 23, 2009Registration date April 26, 2009 Last seen - Apr 23, 2009 09:00PM
Ok, then try this with the one you suspected not to work at all with "recovery wizard".
Put that usb flash into am Aplle Macintosh pc and I guarantee you it will recognise it and give you access to all
your files on it.

Please send me a reply , when u find out that I was right.
quickstang38- Apr 30, 2009 02:41PM
Only had a Mac with OS 9 on it but it still wouldn't read my jump. The Mac said it needed to initialize the drive.
moins plus
I was having the same problem. this was with my 8gb micro sd usb reader (basically a flash drive) and it happened in both computers i have. Basically, i did nothing but kept plugging it in and finally, something just took. it then popped up the "what do you want windows to do" thing and everything was still there. Sorry this isn't a fix, but it also looks like it's not a virus issue or a device issue...keep trying and maybe it's just a fluke????

moins plus
i plugged my sd card into the computer was working fyn b4 but now wen u click on the removable disk, it loads for lyk 5 mina then says no disk in drive :/ try copy anything or right click and evrything stops responding and a message comes up saying "windows explorer is not responding" help?

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « I can't open my Flash drive. » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.