Ask a question Report

Browsers can't connect to websites [Solved/Closed]

Kharneth - Latest answer on Feb 10, 2013 09:27PM
Hello,
Recently, my area had a wind storm, and I lost power for nearly a week. The power is back on now and it seems my computer is not able to browse the web (tried IE and FF3), although I am able to IM through MSN, AIM, Yahoo!, etc. and play online games such as WoW. My computer was perfectly fine before the power went out. My computer is connected to a Wireless network in the same room through a Netgear router connected to an Insight Broadband cable modem. I am pretty sure this is a problem with just my computer as I am able to browse the internet (and ask this question) on my parents computer and my mom's laptop, which all connect to the same router. I have found that I am also able to ping any website. Also, I am not able to system restore. This has been very troublesome for me for the past week since my power has been back on and I would love to fix it as soon as possible, as it is very inconvenient having to use my parents computer. Thanks to anybody who is willing/able to help!
My computer
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Also, if you need any more information, please ask!
Read more 
Answer
+242
moins plus
had the same sort of problem tried alot of things said and nothing worked untill i looked at the connection settings for IE and the LAN setting had the use proxy box ticked and that was the problem so on IE try Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings> then untick the 3rd box

thanks!!- Apr 11, 2010 11:41AM
Amazing! Worked for me too... my browsers were able to access the internet yesterday, then today that mysteriously changed, and I followed your instructions and *BAM* it works again. thanks a lot!!
Florida- Apr 26, 2010 08:35PM
Thank you............................i think i'm in love.......
Cashiuus- Apr 30, 2010 06:30AM
After about 30 search results I find this reply. Thank you VERY MUCH.

In my case, a trojan was redirecting all of my URL's, so when I removed it, the proxy setting was still enabled and apparently google Chrome uses that same property for its configuration because it wouldn't connect either. Thanks again, instant fix.
E.J- Jan 17, 2013 12:03AM
Please I use a wi-fi connection. I have the same problem and the above solution has not worked. Please do you have any other solution
boboy- Jan 30, 2013 08:20PM
thank you very much for your answer......
Answer
+84
moins plus
For the other that have XP Try this

Go to start
Then RUN

Type CMD and enter

in the command prompt type this

netsh winsock reset

then reboot your machine

Sid- Feb 10, 2013 09:27PM
This command totally works. It resets to default settings after the reboot
Answer
+65
moins plus
check your browser configurations or proxies...

Answer
+18
moins plus
I had this problem when AVG automatically upgraded. To solve, open the AVG coontrol panel and unselect the link checkers. Good luck!

Benji + Emil- Aug 16, 2009 10:47AM
Thank you, this worked perfectly.
EBland- Oct 6, 2009 07:13PM
Thank you Ziggy. You just saved my night!
Answer
+10
moins plus
They have been set on "No Proxies" ever since I've had them, and they just recently stopped working...

Answer
+7
moins plus
well,

man u have to just check ur DNS settings might be it changed.I think it will solve ur problem. i dont think there is any virus problem.

best of luck.

omega2fast4u- Jan 16, 2009 10:07PM
Most of the Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings. Windows sockets settings may get corrupted due to the installation of a networking software, or perhaps due to Malware infestation. You will be able connect to the Internet, but the packets won't transfer back and forth. And errors such as Page cannot be displayed may occur when using Internet Explorer.

reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B299357
Sho- Jan 27, 2009 08:30AM
If its an XP, try restoring your system to a date before this problem started. This will fix the problem. It worked for me.
sff- Feb 15, 2009 11:01PM
how you do that?
SUNNY Sho - Apr 22, 2009 09:52AM
THANKS IT WORKS FOR ME
guest- Apr 28, 2010 01:05PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Doing this fixed all my browsers and my iTunes. Thank you!!!!!!!
Answer
+5
moins plus
You need to check two different things

1) Turn Off your windows firewall to see if the firewall setting have been changed and then try to surf without any firewall settings. Remember to turn off all firewalls, such as norton mcafee zonealarm etc.

2) Check to see if your web browser has a proxy setup.

Answer
+4
moins plus
You might also have conflicting or problematic link scanning/antivirus/malware software:

http://windowsfixup.com/2009/04/web-browsers-cannot-connect-to-internet-fixes/

Answer
+4
moins plus
A high percentage of connection issues that occur when you have an internet connection but can't get a browser to hook in is due to firewalls. If your browser won't connect, first try disabling any firewall (you should never have more than one firewall on your computer) and then check for ability to get browser to hook up. If that doesn't work, then remove your firewall from your computer. If it won't uninstall, then remove it manually. Directions on manual removal of firewalls are available on the internet. I recommend addressing the firewall issue first before examining other possibilities.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Try to update your computer (ex. windows update in bottom right corner - taskbar). That might just be it.

Answer
+0
moins plus
i got the samething thunderstorm ...i am able to go MSN google but just cant go facebook and youtube ...i think we need to contact the internet provider..

Answer
+0
moins plus
Try Google Chrome. i had same problems but i am not facing any problem in that.
http://www.fun4india.in

scott- Jun 17, 2010 10:16AM
i dont think so. even google chrome is not competable with every site
This document entitled « Browsers can't connect to websites » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.