Need help connecting computer to net

Closed
Rosalund Posts 2 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2008 - Oct 18, 2008 at 09:28 PM
Rosalund Posts 2 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2008 - Oct 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM
Hello,
I am not sure this is in the right forum. If not sorry.
I have 3 computers at home. Two are desktop computers and one is a wireless laptop. One of the desktop computers and the wireless laptop computer are connected to the net.
The desktop was originally hooked up to a cable modem. I got a netgear router and got the laptop online without any problem.
Now how do I get the other desktop computer online? I have been told to use the USB port on the modem and I have been told to use one of the remaining LAN connections on the router.
Once I finally find the right connecting port to use, I need to know what do I use for connecting the remaining desktop computer for its about 25 feet away and I know I will need a cord/cable/line of some kind since the laptop is the only wireless computer.
Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

1 response

Hello Rossland

First you hook up all desktop computers to router and leave Laptop unplugged to router as it is for wireless use.
Then shut down all computers and unplug the power cord from back of router. Wait for 30 secs until router is back up and running with all needed lights. Then, go ahead to turn on all computers. Should have internet to all computers.
Rosalund Posts 2 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2008
Oct 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM
Ok, but I need more information. I need to know what kind of cable to buy. This is where the confusion comes in.
What is the cable called I used to connect my desktop that is not on the net yet?
thanks so much